Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 361: No Sugar! No Salt! No Mercy!

What a glorious day!  Sun is shining. Skies are blue. Birds are singing!

I really should have gotten up early for my vigorous walk. But I had trouble sleeping last night. Much coughing!

Today is Monday. So I made sure and got my weight and measurementa before I headed to my office job.  I also filled my
"Hydro Flask" with hot water and two tea bags. One black tea, and one "Organic India Tulsi Sweeet Rose" tea. Apparently Tulsi is "Holy Basil" which is "an herb with healing properties that relieve stress and protect the immune system". https://organicindiausa.com/organic-india-tulsi-sweet-rose-tea/


sweet-rose.gif

Magical, healing properties aside, I love the flavor of this tea!  The problem this morning was that I did not even get to sip it until 11:30 a.m. So busy was I!  Like a race horse when the starting gun fires!

But I like being busy. It makes the time fly. And I feel needed!  Love feeling needed. 

Today is Monday. My stats day. I was hoping to see the scale budge a bit. I tried kicking it. That didn't help.

So...
I am going to make some small changes this week. First of all, with my coffee and tea drinks. I love tea. And thankfully, I enjoy it black. But with coffee, it feels more like a treat. And I do not enjoy the taste of coffee unless it is sweet and creamy. 

I googled "low calorie Starbucks drinks" and was pleased to find a lovely website called "Wake The Wolves." They have an article about healthy Starbucks drinks.(http://wakethewolves.com/healthy-starbucks-drinks-secret-menu/).

I am a little nervous here. They suggest not adding sugar to your coffee, but instead using cinnamon. They are healthy young adults, concerned with their daily intake of sugar. 

According to the American Heart Association:

"The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that's no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it's 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons.

Then they posted a chart of typical favorite Starbucks drinks. YIKES!!!!
STARBUCKS FAVORITES – SUGAR NUTRITION FACTS
drinksizesugar
Mocha FrappGrande61g of sugar(14.5 teaspoons)
MochaGrande35g of sugar(8.3 teaspoons)
LatteGrande17g of sugar(4 teaspoons)
Strawberry Acai RefresherGrande20g of sugar(4.75 teaspoons)
Ok. This week, I am first of all focusing on sugar. I am going to start logging the sugar grams along with calories.I also am guilty of too much added salt. I do love me some salt! I used to joke, that I need one of those salt licks that guinea pigs have in their cages.
Seriously.  
Off to Google I go. BRB
Ok. The American Heart Association recommends "no more than 2,300 milligrams (mgs) a day and an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults." https://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/how_much_sodium_should_i_eat
Apparently, because so many Americans eat prepackaged, processed foods, our average daily intake is more than 3,400 mg a day!  Yikes! I am afraid of what my daily intake is. Very afraid. Luckily I blog.  And track. And obsess. I will conquer!
And to sweeten the pot (there I go with food analogies again!), the American Heart Association has a downloadable "Sodium Tracker". Sweet!  ww.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_448279.pdf

Ok, on that note, here is my daily sugar, sodium, food, mood and exercise log.  Oh and my daily stats too.This is a lot of work. But I am one determined menopausal woman!

Stats: May 8, 2015
Mood while blogging (5:45 p.m.) 6
Weight: 192.6
 Neck:    13.5"
Chest:   40"
Waist:    37"
Hips:      44"
Thighs:   22"
Biceps: 13"
Calves:   16"
Ankles:   8.5"


Food Log
11:00 a.m. 2 packages Quaker Instant Grits 200 cals, 620 mg sodium, 0 sugar
11:30 a.m. Black tea (0 calories)
 2:30 p.m. : Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (Boston Cream Pie)  80 cals, 45 mg sodium, 7 g sugar
1 T honey and 1/2 t minced ginger (For my cough.  Home remedy given to my by one of my student's moms) 64 cals, 17 g sugar
 4 p.m. 1 bowl beef pho at Pho Vietnam. 400 cals, 384 mg sodium
5:40 p.m. Venti Passion fruit-white iced tea, unsweetened, 0 cals!, 1.5 ounces raw almonds 250 cals, 0 mg sodium!, 2g sugar; 1 stick string cheese 80 cals, 280 mg sodium, 0 g sugar.

Grand Totals:
1,074 calories
1,329 mg sodium
26 grams sugar (about 6 teaspoons)

Yay me!!
Exercise: the usual 2+ miles walking. Plus, I plan on some yoga tonight before bed. Hopefully it will help my sleep.
P.S. I got a free drink at Starbucks today. And I did not give in to temptation! No dairy, no sugar. Woot woot!
I was blessed to have lunch with my son. He is a pho lover too. No matter how old my kids get, I always get supreme satisfaction from watching them eat heartily. Especially pho. It is a family tradition.

I also was happy to see my favorite, handsome, charming bus driver, "D" today. He smiled and called out my name as I boarded. But the bus was packed; we didn't get a chance to chat. But just seeing "D" brightens my day.

But the highlight of my day is my food log today. It feels so amazing to achieve a goal. It will be interesting to see if counting the sugar and sodium content in my diet will make that stubborn scale budge, this nagging cough disappear and my mood brighten.

I am a living experiment!

And now on toy next piano student, walking in the sun, catching some much needed vitamin D.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Happy Monday!





"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i