Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 5: ""Just As I Am" - "Unfinished"

A bit low this morning. I did manage to walk a brisk 3/4 mile to get my morning black coffee. And a more leisurely 3/4 mile home.

I am disposing of my food log for now. I am feeling pretty confident about my eating skills.  Although yesterday afternoon through evening I was craving chocolate and potato chips, I held fast to my no food after 8 p.m., no sugar, no junk food and no dairy.  

I will post my stats every Monday. If I am stuck again with my weight, or - ACCCK! - if I gain weight, I will reinstate the food log. 

I know I need to exercise more. I sound like a broken record. But MOST tired am I! It is rainy, cold and overcast again today. Like me!

Mood was about a 3 this morning. Morning depression was thick as mud today.
(Scale of 1 to 10, 1 being extremely depressed, 10 being ecstatic.)

Things soon changed.  

There I was at my church job. Searching for a hymn for my next article for the church newsletter. Sipping black, bitter coffee, sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon. Trying to focus on work and not on the pressing gloom in the back of my skull. 


And then...

I shared two prayers via email with our prayer team. One, a sad one about a family member passing. One a prayer of thanksgiving. I prayed with both. And my heart began to expand.

You see, I have been feeling rather inept.  I was hired a few months back.  I instantly resonated with the pastor. She and I have much in common!  But the previous administrative assistant left suddenly. I had to learn quite a bit on the job. And my computer has issues. One being it is trying to kill me!

But I was determined to do my best. The hours were perfect for my schedule.  And it being a church, I could spread the positive love of Christ to all I met!
But shortly after I was hired, I thought perhaps I was not the right person for this job. My strengths are creativity and compassion. I have a good work ethic. But I am not necessarily meticulous or methodical.  I like to get what needs to get done quickly so I can focus on creating and being kind to everyone I meet.

But my boss assured me I was the person she wanted to work with.  

And today, I am feeling like maybe I was meant to be here. I believe in God. And I have lived the power of prayer.  I think being on one end of the prayer chain also brought me a blessing today!

And then...

I was thumbing through my book (Great Songs of Faith, 365 Devotions Based on Popular Hymns, Complied and written by Robert K. Brown and Mark R. Norton).

On June 18th, I stopped.  One of my favorite hymns. I remembered my first job as a church musician. When we sang this hymn, my arms broke out in goosebumps and I nearly burst into tears.  

I am kind of dork that way.  It is especially embarrassing when I moved to tears by my own piano playing!

But as I read the history of the writing of this hymn, here came the goosebumps! The author, Charlotte Elliott suffered from depression.  Now the words of the hymn resonate with me even more.

Just As I Am
by Charlotte Elliott (1789-1871)

"Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, tho' tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings within, and fears without,
O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind,
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God I come! I Come!

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Hath broken ev'ry barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea Thine alone,
O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, the height to prove,
Here for a season then above,
O Lamb of God I come! I come!


And to heighten my goosebumps even further, the song "Unfinished", sung by Mandisa came on the radio station K-Love (my station of choice at work and for my works).


Unfinished
"Not scared to say it
I used to be the one
Preaching it to you
That you could overcome
I still believe it
But it ain't easy

‘Cause that world I painted
Where things just all work out
It started changing
And I started having doubts
And it got me so down

But I picked myself back up
And I started telling me
No, my God's not done
Making me a masterpiece
He's still working on me

He started something good
And I'm gonna believe it
He started something good
And He's gonna complete it
So I'll celebrate the truth
His work in me ain't through
I'm just unfinished

I know His history
And the kind of God He is 
He might make it a mystery
But He's proven I can trust in Him
And yeah, I believe it 

Still working 
Still, still working on me 
He's still working 
Still, still working on me"

Publishing: Ariose Music / 9t One Songs (Admin. at CapitolCMGPublishing.com) / Colby Wedgeworth Music / Fair Trade Publishing (ASCAP) (Admin. by Music Services)

Writer(s): Ben Glover and Colby Wedgeworth



Super Mom, circa 1993!

One of my friends shared the above picture on Facebook last year. It was taken when my daughter was 3 years old and my son was 1. So this was about 1993.  It was a baby shower for our friend. I did not even remember this picture.

It warmed my heart because we all look so happy. And I was slender! Probably from chasing after 2 toddlers! It is funny how memory can play tricks on us. Especially in the midst of depression.  It is so nice to see us full of smiles and love. And when I think clearly, there were MANY happy times. 

Today, in my prayer journal I vowed to experience joy.  To seek it every day.  Sometimes it will be like pulling myself up out of quicksand. But when I break free, it is worth it.

And as I've said before, if I can help someone, pray for someone, make someone smile, then my joy increases as well.

It is now 9:42 p.m. 

Current Mood:  7.

I am going to finish this blog, knit a bit while listening to some music and then go to bed early.  I hear we have warmer weather in the forecast. I want to take advantage of it and start running early morning at the track.  

I may sound like a broken record, but if that is what it takes to make running a healthy habit in my life, so be it!



On that note - Happy Wednesday!


Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,

Zita :) 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist