Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 17: Running For My Sanity!

Running and walking are the only two things that are keeping me sane lately.

Maybe I should rephrase that:

Running and walking are the only two things that are keeping me from losing my mind lately.

So I must continue. Forever.

I started out on the track this morning. Not as early as I had planned.  Today, being Memorial Day, was a true day off for me.  No church office job. No students.

I planned on getting up early, running, doing laundry, practicing piano and then hopping on the Max and heading to the airport.  Then I was going to Uber it across the I-205 bridge to visit Honey Dog, my pregnant daughter and her husband. Ok. I was really wanting to especially visit my pregnant daughter and son-in-law in their new home.

But I had not seen Honey Dog in months since we all moved out of the house we were living in, in the Lents area.

I really missed Honey Dog!

My daughter and son-in-law, I met for breakfast and/or lunch twice a week.  But I had not yet seen their new home.

Alas, I had an annoying phone call last night.  My friend,  "T" from Plenty of Fish had informed me that he enjoys talking to me. He told me he would be calling me at 9:00 p.m. Saturday night. I was looking forward to it.  But Saturday night was the night of the vigil at the Hollywood Transit Center.  I was emotionally drained when I got home.  I texted him that I was tired and sad from the vigil and would be going to bed early. 

He texted back that he totally understood. And he was looking forward to talking to me at 9:00 p.m. Sunday night.

What in the world...?

Suddenly I was feeling annoyed.  When did I say I was available to talk EVERY night at 9:00 p.m.?  It was feeling like an odd obligation. That I never agreed to.  I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I've learned to honor that.

Plus, after church yesterday, at Starbucks, I had a very pleasant encounter with "N" from Greece!

A spontaneous connection.  Which I love.  I'm beginning to wonder if I really should stay away from dating apps.  I think perhaps I am being a tad unfair to "T".  He did say quite frankly in his profile that he is looking for a relationship.  I am wondering if the 9:00 p.m. was my time slot.  For my phone interview. For the "job" of girlfriend. Hmmm....Not sure if I am ready to apply for that position!

But I digress. Let me tell you about "N"...

Yesterday, I stopped off at Starbucks after the library and before the gym.  I was craving one of my unsweetened passionfruit/white iced teas.  My phone needed to be charged. And I needed some quiet time. I do seem to crave a lot of that!

I walked into Starbucks and placed my order. It was quite crowded, but I noticed my "usual" table was open. The table by the outlet. For my phone charger. Well, I should say  no one was seated at my usual table, but there was a cup of ice water on the table top.  There was a gentleman seated at the next table. He had his laptop open. He glanced up and me and smiled, motioning to the table.

"Do you know if someone is sitting here?", I asked.

"No. It is for you!" he replied in a thick accent.

I smiled and motioned that I needed the outlet. I got all settled. My iced tea arrived. I got out my knitting needles, yarn, and a pile of books.  Including my Essentials of New Testament Greek book (by Ray Summers).

I wrote down the entire Greek alphabet in my notebook. And started to read the next chapter.  Then I took a break and got out my knitting.

I took a sip of my iced tea and knit a few rows.  I was feeling quite relaxed. No schedule. Just hanging out in the coffee shop, watching the world go by!

The man next to me was motioning at me.  I looked up.

"What are you knitting?", he asked with I smile.

I told him I was knitting a baby blanket for my new granddaughter. My FIRST grandchild, who was due in September.

He smiled and told me he had fond memories of his mother sitting on the balcony at their home, crocheting. He told me she recently passed away and he saved all the hundreds of beautiful items she made.

"That is lovely", I said.  "Where are you from?"

"I am from Greece", he said.

I got goosebumps. I reached in my bag and pulled out my book.

"I am learning Greek!", I said.

We both laughed at the coincidence. Then we proceeded to talk for over an hour. About Greece, the food, his family.  When I told him I taught piano and was a pianist, we talked for another half hour about music. He showed me some youtube videos of some Greek music he liked.

It was a wonderful conversation. So nice to talk to someone who is interesting, interested and shares common interests!

I reluctantly finally told him I needed to leave if I was going to make it to the gym.  He asked me if we could meet again for coffee. He said he cooks many traditional Greek meals and maybe I could come for dinner sometime.

He had me at Greek food!

We exchanged numbers.  Just like that!  I floated home. I love chance meetings.  


And that may have dulled my feelings for "T". Whom I have never met.  Who only wants to talk at 9:00 p.m.

When I got home, I immediately went to my piano.  I have a concert coming up with the choir I accompany. Plus, talking to someone about music always inspires me to PLAY music!

I was about 30 minutes into my practice, when I heard my phone ring. It was 9:00 p.m. Exactly. It was "T".  I let it go to voicemail.

Finally I started to feel guilty. I listened to his message. His voice sounded strained.  He said he didn't understand why I never answered when he called. That he figured 9:00 p.m. was a good time to talk because people usually are done with work and dinner, and settling in with "nothing to do at that hour".

Grrr....I started feeling my blood pressure rise.  I am not a person to ever be bored. And I don't have a typical schedule.

But I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I called him back. But I told him I had been practicing and that it had been another long day and I could not talk long.

He seemed a little tense.  He talked really fast and also seemed defensive.

I got nervous with his pressured speech and began to cough. I really think my cough is a nervous cough. I told him I couldn't talk much longer because my allergies were bothering me.  And that I had an early day the next day.

At which point he said, "I don't work! It is the weekend!"

I inhaled and exhaled slowly. "I was talking about me", I said calmly. "I am planning on waking up early and going for a run".

The conversation went on a bit more, awkwardly. At some point he said it sounded like I didn't have time for a relationship.

I told him I had time for a relationship if it was right. But not forced. And I didn't have time to be bored. I would rather be alone than with someone just to avoid being lonely.

At some point, as the conversation deteriorated, I told him I really had to go, and my coughing became worse. He kept talking. I finally told him, "I am coughing. I can't talk any long."

He asked me when a GOOD time to call me was. I told him I didn't have a "designated man time".  Just call me when he wanted to talk.

He did not seem amused.

Oh well.

I think I will let this one die a slow, natural death.

In the meantime, I had a wonderful experience today.  I have changed my travel a bit. From mostly Tri-Met bus and walking, to mostly Max and walking.

It was so easy taking the Max toward Vancouver today. And my son-in-law called and said to save my money and not Uber it across the bridge. He'd pick me up at Cascade Station near Ikea.

Which he did.  It was a seamless voyage! I got off the Max and there he was!

I suggested that I did not need to get a car when the baby came. That I could just Max it and Uber it!

But my daughter vetoed that plan. And she is probably right. I will have to give up my public transportation way of rolling for a car in the fall. It will be the most practical way to go.

It was so nice to see their home. We had a potluck at their bible study friend's house.  I felt a bit socially awkward, as usual. But I have met some of these people before. And the food was really good! Plus, seeing my daughter glow in her pregnant state made my heart soar. And of course, Honey Dog was there to comfort me.  So not only was it not too painful, I actual had moments where I felt comfortable!

Then back home again, I am finally doing laundry and got some more piano practice in.

AND...it is 10:05 p.m. and no man has required me to answer the phone at 9:00 p.m.!

Freedom!

On that note,  I am needing to get some sleep. I am still hoping to rise early enough for a sunrise run. But no matter what, I shall run.

For my sanity!

Happy Monday!

Happy Memorial Day!

Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,

Zita :)


P.S. Monday is usually stat day. I weighed and measured myself and everything is EXACTLY the same as last week. And I made a bit of a pig of myself at the bible study potluck. At one point, my daughter made a point of picking up the bowl of potato chips and putting them out of my reach. I can NEVER eat one potato chip!  I am drinking extra water tonight. I am fully anticipating a food and social interaction hangover tomorrow. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist