Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 356: I Can See Clearly Now...

...the rain has gone!

But alas, I am a bit under the weather today. Ok. WAY under the weather. Because the weather is epic today!

My mood was REALLY low this morning. I'd say about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being severely depressed, 10 being ecstatic). I did not sleep well last night.
 
But I saw the sun peeking through my blinds. And I remembered the weather forecast - they are saying a high of 80 degrees Farhrenheit today!  And I remember my commitment to DO!

So I forced myself to get up and put on my running shoes. I did my brisk walk to the gas station for my coffee reward. It is 3/4 mile to the gas station. I knew I would not make the bus back in time to make it to my office job if I waited for the next bus, so I also walked 3/4 mile back home.

THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED!  

On the way back, steaming mug of creamy, caffeinated goodness in hand, birds singing, gentle warm breeze blowing, I thought, "There is no easy answer. No happiness pill. I have to put forth the effort. It is hard to get going. But the rewards are endless!"

By the time I got home, my blood was flowing, my lungs expanding with warm, spring air, my mind alert.  I went from a 2 to about a 6 in roughly 20 minutes.

Compare this to taking an antidepressant, and not doing the work.  Just popping a pill to feel better. I am resisting going back to that mentality!

I got on the scale this morning, and I am down a pound from yesterday.  I am determined to stick to my eating and exercise plan.  I will be starting year three of this blog in 9 days!

I am thankful that I have been pretty diligent about tracking my weight. I use weightcommander.com.
It is free.  Here is a chart of every Wednesday that I input my weight for the past 7 years.  Notice the dates I highlighted. Today I am 191.80 pounds. On 05/18 2011, roughly 7 years ago, I weighed in at 229 pounds.  

As I said yesterday, I showed progress, even when I was not 100% engaged.

I am shooting for 100% now!  I know I will have low days, today being one of them. But I will keep on keeping on!
Progress! :)




It is so beautiful outside, I went out twice to check the mail.  And then I took a second look at the church sign.  Our church sign changer always tags me in a post on Facebook with our new sign message. The pastor rocks with her sign messages! I like to think of the people driving by. How many of them will read the sign, and be forever changed?

Speaking of change, which I am currently all about, look at this week's sign....It is a sign!!


A Sign!


 But my mood took another nose dive at my morning office job. One of the church members brought in some negativity. I tried to listen to her complaints, and help solve them the best I could. Tried to be supportive, but in my vulnerable state, my stomach started to churn.

Her problems mostly solved, she left, after apologizing for being a bit grumpy. I told her not to worry.  But my spirits had dampened. I know I need to work on rising above, and not letting someone else's energy deplete mine. It has been a lifelong struggle.

If someone is sad, blue, or in crisis and I can help, I soar. I love to help! But if I am feeling criticized, judged or blamed, I retreat into my turtle shell.  

I guess awareness is the first step to recovery, right? But is recovery possible for an overly sensitive, introvert with chronic depression and anxiety?  I am definitely at the end of MY comfort zone!

Sigh.  A work in progress I am.

But, still. That glorious sunshine!

And now for my daily food log:

Food Log, May 3, 2017

  • 9:30 a.m. 1 12 oz mug coffee with three creamers and 1 package sugar (204 cals)..I think I will stick with black tea most days!
  • 10:30 a.m. 1 serving "Umpqua Oats Insane Grains  - Oatmeal with Quinoa & Chia" with 1 teaspoon butter - (242 cals)
  • 12:30 p.m. sliced carrots and 1 oz "LaTerra Fina Greek Yogurt Dip with spinach, artichoke and parmesan (50 cals). 10 Trader Joes Popped Barbecue potato chips (60 cals). 1 cube turkey Spam (40 cals)
  • 4:00 p.m. Chicken Katsu, White Rice, Spam Musubi and a Diet Coke at L&L Hawaiin Barbecue on SE 82nd and Holgate.  I was feeling the need for comfort food.  And comfort I got.  But it was about 800 calories worth!  My belly and my mood might suffer tomorrow. Chicken Katsu is deep fried.  But for now I am happy.  I am a sucker for spam musubi!
Spam Musubi

  • It is now 4:45 p.m. I am at the library blogging before my next student. No Greek keyboard here!  It really is a glorious day outside. I packed an orange for my evening snack. I am at 1,394 calories right now. An orange has 45 cals, so I will have to stop eating after the orange if I want to stick to my plan. I shall!
  •  Predicted Grand Total (Will report back tomorrow on actual): 1,399 cals
  • My goal is 1,500 cals a day or less. If I just stick with that orange, and perhaps an unsweetened iced tea I will make it! Three days in a row....Woot Woot!

    A positive part of my day is that my new eyeglasses had arrived!  The frames are similar to my old ones, but a bit more purple.  The lenses are stronger. Blind as a bat I am! It is nice to see clearly again!  Perhaps it will give me more "insight". ;) Today was a roller coaster of a day. But I am sticking to my plan.  Putting one foot in front of the other.


    New Glasses

    Today I am focusing on the fruit of the spirit: "Joy" (From Galatians 5:22-23).  It is challenging feeling joyful under the cloud of depression, but I usually break through. The sunshine helps!

    On that note, I wish you a Happy Wednesday! :)

    Talk to you tomorrow...

    Love,
    Zita







    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

    Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

    Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

    Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

    Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

    I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist