Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 79: Vitamin P

I am pet sitting for my roommates. So this morning I hooped on the deck with Squire the Dog!  He video bombed me...most adorable!

It was nice and cool and overcast this morning. But I knew not to get too comfortable. We've got a killer heat wave coming to Portland this week.  I've heard forecasts of 104 to 111 for Wednesday!

I woke up a little late. But my cough was a bit better. I minced fresh garlic root into a paste and took a tablespoon of it with a bit of honey before bed. And I made some sage tea. I've been reading on the internet that sage tea has many healing properties, especially effective in treating lung conditions and sinusitis.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/277301-what-are-the-benefits-of-sage-tea-for-lung-problems/

I had a moment where I thought, "Dang, now I am going to have to cancel my doctor appointment".

I am such a silly goose. I would be happy to be rid of this cough through natural measures and would gladly suffer the inconvenience of a cancelled appointment!

Anyway, since I woke up late, I had to rush to make it to church on time. But I was determined.  I was still feeling so tickled that the pastor and his wife had noticed my absence and called to check on me! But I was worried about him. He has heart issues, and he said he was having a bad day.

It turns out his blood pressure had risen to the point where he didn't feel up to preaching. We had a guest pastor.

I am so happy I attended church today!

I love our regular pastor. He translates the Bible word by word from Greek and Hebrew. I take notes like mad. He and his wife are simply delightful. What I aspire to be like as a Christian. Kind, humble, but serious students of the Word.

Our guest pastor did not disappoint! In fact, I shed a few tears during his message. And was most inspired after church. I spent the next few hours in prayer, bible study and journaling.

He spoke about prayer.  But in a way that made a huge impact. First he read the scripture in Mark 9:14-29. Jesus is called to heal a man's son with an "unclean spirit" after his disciples fail.  After Jesus heals the young man, the disciples ask why they were unable to. Jesus told them that that kind can only be cure by "prayer and fasting".  He talked extensively how we try to live in this world by our own might, rather than depending on God. I am finally starting to really understand this.

his goes much deeper, but to keep this short and simple, our guest pastor then compared prayer to water skiing of all things. In a nutshell, he said he never got the hang of water skiing. His friends would yell at him to "Bend his knees, stretch out his arms, and let the power of the boat lift him up". But he always did something wrong, and never trusted that the boat would lift him. So he always ended up in the water. Much to the amusement of his friends.

You can probably guess the analogy.  He talked extensively about his own prayer life and encouraged us to spend more time with our knees bent, our arms stretched out and trusting in the power of God to lift us up.

At the end of the service, the pastor got on his knees and extended his hands.  He was so sincere, humble and charismatic. I felt the tears roll down my cheek.

It seems simplistic, but sometimes the simplest images stay with me the longest.

He also shared quotes with us from pastors about prayer.  And he mentioned one pastor who would spend several hours in prayer every morning, when he got up at 4:00 a.m.

I felt a lightbulb go on in my head.  My insomnia! I often find my eyes popping open at 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. Wide awake. I spend the next few hours fitfully tossing and turning, or worse yet, looking at Facebook until I drift back to sleep. Inevitably, I wake up groggy and grumpy and too late.

I am instead, going to pray! I have a yoga mat by the side of my bed, just waiting for me!

I have so many more thoughts, but it is getting late.  I still need to let my doggie friend out one more time.  And brew a cup of sage tea. And take my vitamins.

But one vitamin I need to increase that I cannot live without is Vitamin P.

P as in prayer.

On that note, I wish you a happy Sunday!

I leave you with a picture of my wonderful grain free dinner:

A turkey patty topped with blue cheese, a spinach salad topped chopped black olives, walnuts and dressed with olive oil, apple cider vinegar and sprinkled with oregano. And orange slices.  And a cup of tea.


I had a few moments at my daughter's baby shower yesterday, where I almost succombed to temptation. In the form of crackers and pie!  But I overcame! Believe it or not, this is getting easier.

Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i