Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 59: Unsweetened Espresso Frappacino--Not for the Faint of Heart!

Yesterday I had virtually no carbs.

I was pleased to step on the scale and find I had not gained any weight after the weekend!  WOOT WOOT! :)

I am thinking I will stick to focusing on veggies, fruit, lean meats, yogurt and nuts.  Not sure if I could totally stick to a no carb diet. So my new plan is to have 2 or 3 days a week where I do no carbs and load up on fresh fruits and veggies.

I like having a plan!

Speaking of plan, I discovered an amazing book on my Kindle that I had forgotten about.  I sat and read for about 2 hours last night, highlighting like mad.

It is called  Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food, by Lysa Terkeurst. It felt like the author was inside my head, speaking thoughts I had not yet even formed!

Remember my mentioning in yesterday's post that I ran into "HFKAR" on the bus? Well, I happened to get on his bus going home too!

Unplanned. We had a nice little pleasant conversation. As I was about to de-bus, he reached out and touched my arm. "Don't be such a stranger", he whispered.

"You're stranger than me", I called back with a smile. 

Light flirting can be very healing.

And then...

This afternoon, I was on my way to Starbucks and then a late lunch with my daughter. (I kind of planned this one). I got on "D's" bus. He was all smiles. I stood up front and chatted since I was only going a short distance. He seemed happy to see me. He remarked that I had not ridden with him in a "very long time".  I had the good sense not to mention last week when he shunned me for another female passenger. I hope he just didn't recognize me that day. Or forgot. Or something. We chatted about restaurants we like. It turns out he has been to "Larry's", one of my family favorites for breakfast.  He said he is surprised they have been in business so long.

I told him they have a lot of regulars.  The food is decent and I love that they are family owned.

D asked if it was still an "older crowd".  

"Yes", I said. "I fit right in!"

Just then he pulled up to my stop.

"But then again, you're older than me, you'd fit right in too!", I smiled and waved.  He smiled and waved back.

I practically skipped to Starbucks. I am getting good at this light-hearted, no expectations flirtation.  Makes me smile.  No heartbreak!

At Starbucks, I did something very brave. My roommate told me excitedly that she has discovered a new way to drink coffee, in a healthy way. We both support each other's healthy eating endeavors.

She told me to order a unsweetened, double espresso frappecino, no base and whatever milk I desired. I chose coconut milk.

I was afraid. I can drink my hot coffee black. But a frap? To me, it is like a dessert. But I am committed to avoiding sugar.  So order it I did!

Let me tell you. This is not for the faint of heart. This is a seriously, hard core drink!  

I am woman, hear me roar!

I drank the whole thing without scrunching my face or complaining.  It will take some getting used to. But it was refreshing. I think I might be a beast and try it without any milk, dairy or otherwise next time!

And you know what? I think this drink has appetite suppressant qualities!

It is 10:03 p.m. I just recently got home from teaching. And I just realized the last time I ate was at a late lunch with my daughter about 3:45 p.m!

We hit the happy hour at Portland Seafood.  We had an iceberg wedge salad, salmon soft tacos (on corn tortillas),  spicy sauteed prawns, artichoke/spinach dip (I used only corn chips, no bread), and unsweetened iced tea.  It was great fun, but I am in shock that I didn't get hungry later.

I just had water at my students' house.  

Hmmmm....we may be onto something!

And now, here is my day 25 video of hooping.  I am starting to feel a little bit more coordinated. It helps to have music playing. I had fun loading my Kindle with music to hoop to. Today Latin Jazz. Tomorrow Classic Rock!

On that note, I look forward to talking to you tomorrow.

Happy Monday!

Live long and prosper!

Lots of love,



Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…