Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 59: Unsweetened Espresso Frappacino--Not for the Faint of Heart!

Yesterday I had virtually no carbs.

I was pleased to step on the scale and find I had not gained any weight after the weekend!  WOOT WOOT! :)



I am thinking I will stick to focusing on veggies, fruit, lean meats, yogurt and nuts.  Not sure if I could totally stick to a no carb diet. So my new plan is to have 2 or 3 days a week where I do no carbs and load up on fresh fruits and veggies.

I like having a plan!


Speaking of plan, I discovered an amazing book on my Kindle that I had forgotten about.  I sat and read for about 2 hours last night, highlighting like mad.

It is called  Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food, by Lysa Terkeurst. It felt like the author was inside my head, speaking thoughts I had not yet even formed!


Remember my mentioning in yesterday's post that I ran into "HFKAR" on the bus? Well, I happened to get on his bus going home too!

Unplanned. We had a nice little pleasant conversation. As I was about to de-bus, he reached out and touched my arm. "Don't be such a stranger", he whispered.

"You're stranger than me", I called back with a smile. 

Light flirting can be very healing.

And then...

This afternoon, I was on my way to Starbucks and then a late lunch with my daughter. (I kind of planned this one). I got on "D's" bus. He was all smiles. I stood up front and chatted since I was only going a short distance. He seemed happy to see me. He remarked that I had not ridden with him in a "very long time".  I had the good sense not to mention last week when he shunned me for another female passenger. I hope he just didn't recognize me that day. Or forgot. Or something. We chatted about restaurants we like. It turns out he has been to "Larry's", one of my family favorites for breakfast.  He said he is surprised they have been in business so long.

I told him they have a lot of regulars.  The food is decent and I love that they are family owned.

D asked if it was still an "older crowd".  

"Yes", I said. "I fit right in!"

Just then he pulled up to my stop.

"But then again, you're older than me, you'd fit right in too!", I smiled and waved.  He smiled and waved back.

I practically skipped to Starbucks. I am getting good at this light-hearted, no expectations flirtation.  Makes me smile.  No heartbreak!

At Starbucks, I did something very brave. My roommate told me excitedly that she has discovered a new way to drink coffee, in a healthy way. We both support each other's healthy eating endeavors.

She told me to order a unsweetened, double espresso frappecino, no base and whatever milk I desired. I chose coconut milk.

I was afraid. I can drink my hot coffee black. But a frap? To me, it is like a dessert. But I am committed to avoiding sugar.  So order it I did!

Let me tell you. This is not for the faint of heart. This is a seriously, hard core drink!  

I am woman, hear me roar!

I drank the whole thing without scrunching my face or complaining.  It will take some getting used to. But it was refreshing. I think I might be a beast and try it without any milk, dairy or otherwise next time!





And you know what? I think this drink has appetite suppressant qualities!

It is 10:03 p.m. I just recently got home from teaching. And I just realized the last time I ate was at a late lunch with my daughter about 3:45 p.m!

We hit the happy hour at Portland Seafood.  We had an iceberg wedge salad, salmon soft tacos (on corn tortillas),  spicy sauteed prawns, artichoke/spinach dip (I used only corn chips, no bread), and unsweetened iced tea.  It was great fun, but I am in shock that I didn't get hungry later.

I just had water at my students' house.  

Hmmmm....we may be onto something!


And now, here is my day 25 video of hooping.  I am starting to feel a little bit more coordinated. It helps to have music playing. I had fun loading my Kindle with music to hoop to. Today Latin Jazz. Tomorrow Classic Rock!




On that note, I look forward to talking to you tomorrow.

Happy Monday!

Live long and prosper!


Lots of love,


Zita







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist