Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 56: Beatles Therapy

I've been in a Beatles mood lately.  Heck, their music defines most of my life.  When I was a small child, my father taught me to play piano.  We listened to only classical music at home. With one exception, he allowed me to listen to and play the music of the Beatles on the piano. He said it was the only "quality popular music out there".

I bought my first book of Beatles songs arranged for the piano with my own money when I was 14.  I played from that book until the pages fell out.

The only song I can belt out at karoake with any pride is "Hey Jude". With Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" a close second.

I find listening to their music therapeutic. It reminds me of a time of innocence. And I seriously think most of their music was superior to anything else that existed at that time. Heck, at this time too! 

Lately I've been thinking it's time to seriously work on my voice. I've always been ashamed of my singing voice. Plus I have poor breath control. I've had a bit of lessons, but I always drop out, frustrated.

I was so shy in grade school, I never raised my hand. Rarely spoke in class. I remember one time, in second grade the teacher asked me to read aloud. I was mortified. I opened my voice to talk and I croaked! Like a frog!

The other kids laughed.  I wanted to die!

So perhaps on this journey of self improvement, voice therapy might be in order.



On a happier note, this is Day 22 of daily hooping!


You cannot imagine how my confidence is soaring because of this commitment?
Or can you?

That feeling of accomplishment? When you stick to a plan?  This feeling reigns supreme in my humble life!

Today is my day to give you stats.  I am a tad disappointed that I have not lost more weight. But I shall carry on! I did well this week with avoiding red meat and fried foods for the most part.  And I am still not eating after 7:00 which is becoming a comfortable lifestyle choice.

I ate less meals out.  Although I did splurge on a fish taco platter at Teco's yesterday.  It was their daily special. $5.99!  But it was a lot of food. I think I will focus more on portion control as I take this getting fit project to the next level!




Here are today's stats:

July 7, 2017

Mood:  6 (On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being depressed, 10 being ecstatic!)
Weight: 186
Chest: 40"
Waist: 36"
Hips: 42"
Thighs: 22"
Calves: 15"
Biceps: 13"
Ankles: 8"
Compared to last Friday:
June 30, 2017

Mood:  7 (On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being depressed, 10 being ecstatic!)
Weight: 187
Chest: 40"
Waist: 36"
Hips: 42"
Thighs: 22"
Calves: 15"
Biceps: 13"
Ankles: 8"
My stats are the same except for a loss of 1 pound. Which I will take!  Any progress, no matter how little is progress!  
Speaking of which, I finished the last season of Homeland last night. It left me with an odd feeling.  I was very sad about them killing off my favorite male character, Peter Quinn. 
But the last episode centered around an assassination attempt on the president. Who was a female who the general population despised.  
There was a harrowing scene with angry, violent protestors. Madame President was being driving with her secret service and presidential advisor, (my favorite female character: Carrie Mathison).  The car driving her double was blown up by a bomb. Carrie personally saves the president. Very exciting action scenes. But in the end, the president appears to be quite evil.
So, hence, I did not sleep well. But I woke up feeling relieved. Relieved that for now, my obsession with this show has ended.  (Until Season 7 comes out, that is!)

Now I can come back down to earth a bit and take care of business!  

But I soon discovered, after checking breaking news and opening Facebook, that a parallel story is unfolding today.  A TRUE story!  The protestors at the G20 summit in Hamburg have become so violent, that Melania Trump is confined to her hotel room because it is considered too dangerous for her . 

I had a major case of 'deja vu' this morning when I saw the article. I immediately thought of the final scene from the last episode of season 6 of Homeland.

Eerie!

Although, I was frankly amused by the clips from the G20 meeting. The press is making such a big deal out of how Trump and Putin shook hands.  Much talk of macho male behavior.  

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Perhaps I will not need to binge watch anymore thriller spy type shows. I can just watch CNN!
And on that note, I need to fly out of here.  A Starbucks iced tea awaits me. As well as a few classes of piano students.
Talk to you tomorrow.
Happy Friday!
Love,
Zita :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i