Skip to main content

Day 132

I am having a very good day!

Fridays have been my "day off" for the month of September. Then in October, fall term opens up at the music center and I teach group classes.  I have one student Friday evening. And bible study in the morning with some wonderful neighbor ladies and their dogs. :)

After bible study, I went for a two mile walk on the trail. It was the perfect day for walking. A gentle breeze, sunshine, but not too hot. Nice long pockets of shade.

 I need to remember that I need this.

I need to walk miles a day. Not just for the exercise. For for my mental state.  I get time to ponder, to pray, to listen to music, to breathe to be.  I really need to remember this feeling.

After my wonderful walk,  I made lunch. Lately I feel like I have been eating too much meat. I was actually craving tofu! Who does that?  Crave tofu?! lol  Well I did.  I've also been reading the spelt flour is gluten free, and does not cause inflammation. So I coated cubes of extra firm tofu with a mixture of spelt flour, a bit of nutritional yeast, lemon pepper, salt and paprika.  I sauteed them in coconut until they were nice and crispy.  I also tossed some sliced zucchini with the same mixture, but added a bit of parmesan cheese.  I had this with a bit of hot sauce, with a kale salad and a half of a tangelo on the side  Pretty fancy, right? :)

I am feeling good today.  I don't hurt much. I've been working on all my issues: Trying to get good, regular sleep, plenty of water, no gluten, and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. And of course some kind of exercise every day and stop eating at 7:00 p.m.

My skin in particular is looking great, glowing even!  Well I am quite pale, so I would probably glow in the dark!

Yesterday I took my blood pressure at the "higi" kiosk at Fred Meyers. Here are my check in results:

Blood Pressure: 113/69 mmHg
Pulse:  68 bpm

I am still slightly blown away at the big improvement in my blood pressure. 

So, in celebration of life, I went for a fabulous foot massage with Daniel at the Amazing Foot Spa on 82nd and Foster. We are becoming good friends. He does such a good job. Knows all the right points.

I am now on my way to dinner with my son.  And then a piano student. 

It was a wonderful day indeed!

Happy Friday! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…