Skip to main content

Day 141: The Complete Interior Makeover

A rainy Portland morning in the SE Hawthorne neighborhood. Photo by Zita :)

 
Yesterday was a low day for me.  Low spirits. Low energy. 

I am feeling better today.  Had much food for thought! And much sleeping in!

I hung out with my daughter after I got home from rehearsal last night. We watched an episode of Outlander. I bought the entire First Season. I am so hooked!  Not to give the plot away, but the main character is a nurse during World War II. She and her husband are celebrating after the end of the war in Scotland in 1945. She is suddenly (I won't tell you how!) whisked back into time into the 1700's and becomes entangled with a Scottish clan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/
I watched the whole season last year when I was dog-sitting for a piano student's family. They live near Movie Madness (on SE Belmont). A lovely couple recommended the series when I was there poking around.

I'm so excited to get my daughter in on my addiction.  It's more fun when shared! :)

So about yesterday. I had a long, weary day. Felt pretty low. I must confess, that after a long day of teaching and rehearsals (my chamber group has it's season opening concert next weekend), I gave in and went out to eat. I was going to go to a food cart that has pretty healthy and very yummy Mexican around the corner from the church where I teach.

But it was cold. I wanted to sit and read.  My second choice was Taco Time because they have a fresh salsa bar. But their doors were locked at 8:45 p.m.!

So I slunk across the street to Taco Bell.  I ate as healthy as possible. But I didn't feel good about it.  This morning I woke up feeling hung over, but a bit happier. I let myself sleep in. I am going for a walk soon.

It helped to have bonding time with my daughter. She is talking about a new hairstyle. So I downloaded a complete makeover app and we had a hoot playing with different hairstyles. Long after the episode of Outlander was over and she went to bed, I stayed up playing with hairstyles.  Way too long! But it was fun.


Here is what I came up with:






LOL!  I was almost convinced this morning that I need a new hairstyle, color and lots of makeup and bling.  I cheered up for a moment.

Then I thought about it.  I paused and breathed.  Perhaps that is where I am misled. Our whole world is misled.  Materialism rules. We are bombarded with messages that we need more, bigger, better, stronger! Often we think (and this has historically been a female issue, but I am seeing it more and more for all genders)in order to "fix" our life we need an exterior makeover.

But perhaps what I really need is a complete interior makeover.

I am going to take a long walk today and pray and think about this.

In the meantime, I leave you with this poem that I stumbled across this morning.


LOST
Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree of a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest know
Where you are. You must let it find you.

-David Wagoner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i