Skip to main content

Day 141: The Complete Interior Makeover

A rainy Portland morning in the SE Hawthorne neighborhood. Photo by Zita :)

Yesterday was a low day for me.  Low spirits. Low energy. 

I am feeling better today.  Had much food for thought! And much sleeping in!

I hung out with my daughter after I got home from rehearsal last night. We watched an episode of Outlander. I bought the entire First Season. I am so hooked!  Not to give the plot away, but the main character is a nurse during World War II. She and her husband are celebrating after the end of the war in Scotland in 1945. She is suddenly (I won't tell you how!) whisked back into time into the 1700's and becomes entangled with a Scottish clan.
I watched the whole season last year when I was dog-sitting for a piano student's family. They live near Movie Madness (on SE Belmont). A lovely couple recommended the series when I was there poking around.

I'm so excited to get my daughter in on my addiction.  It's more fun when shared! :)

So about yesterday. I had a long, weary day. Felt pretty low. I must confess, that after a long day of teaching and rehearsals (my chamber group has it's season opening concert next weekend), I gave in and went out to eat. I was going to go to a food cart that has pretty healthy and very yummy Mexican around the corner from the church where I teach.

But it was cold. I wanted to sit and read.  My second choice was Taco Time because they have a fresh salsa bar. But their doors were locked at 8:45 p.m.!

So I slunk across the street to Taco Bell.  I ate as healthy as possible. But I didn't feel good about it.  This morning I woke up feeling hung over, but a bit happier. I let myself sleep in. I am going for a walk soon.

It helped to have bonding time with my daughter. She is talking about a new hairstyle. So I downloaded a complete makeover app and we had a hoot playing with different hairstyles. Long after the episode of Outlander was over and she went to bed, I stayed up playing with hairstyles.  Way too long! But it was fun.

Here is what I came up with:

LOL!  I was almost convinced this morning that I need a new hairstyle, color and lots of makeup and bling.  I cheered up for a moment.

Then I thought about it.  I paused and breathed.  Perhaps that is where I am misled. Our whole world is misled.  Materialism rules. We are bombarded with messages that we need more, bigger, better, stronger! Often we think (and this has historically been a female issue, but I am seeing it more and more for all genders)in order to "fix" our life we need an exterior makeover.

But perhaps what I really need is a complete interior makeover.

I am going to take a long walk today and pray and think about this.

In the meantime, I leave you with this poem that I stumbled across this morning.

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree of a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest know
Where you are. You must let it find you.

-David Wagoner


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…