Skip to main content

Day 116: Waiting to Exhale

I had a funny moment at the gym yesterday.  I stepped on the scale. One of those old school scales you used to find in doctor's offices before the whole world went digital.  I have this feeling they are pretty accurate. So I took off my shoes and stepped on. The little markers (not sure what to call those thingamabobs) were at "zero".  So I slide one over to 200 lbs.  I stared at it a moment not comprehending.  Because the scale thingie tipped all the way to the right.

Then I realized that I am now under 200 lbs! So I set the marker at 150 and added weight in increments until I got to my current weight today which is 195.

Something about sliding that marker made it more real then staring at a digital number. Just saying.

I went to my foot massage guy today. It just seemed like a good day to do that after a good workout. While I was walking up to see him, my daughter called. One of the most thrilling conversations ever.  She had recommended a book to read on Kindle. Her husband won a Kindle reader at his work, but never used it. She finally has Kindle fever.  She was thrilled that I actually read it. She finished it today and we had a BOOK DISCUSSION. My daughter and I talked about a book we read. I wanted to a happy dance right there! She was calling to ask my advice on the next book.

One of the happiest days in my life. Kids. They are so precious and innocent from the beginning. They steal your heart. Then they grow up and away.  It is inevitable that they be their own people. But when they come back as an adult and want your opinion or want to share an interest with you unexpectantly, it does make one glow!

Last week it was my son admitting that he liked Mozart.

I remember a movie I watched years ago.  It was on Christmas Day. I was alone. The kids were each with their fathers.  It was called "Waiting to Exhale". Whitney Houston and Angela Bassett were two of the actresses.  I remember crying for most of the movie.  Most of my life I have felt like I am waiting for something.

And I do believe it is these little moments of joy. 

Today is another relished day off with no specific obligations.  Other than my own self improvement of course! So I had my glass of water. Will now drink tea, study bible and then hop bus to the gym. Today I will focus on chest/triceps/abs and do some cardio.  I am not walking the trail this morning. My feet are sore and I am hungry.  I would like to do a walk this afternoon.

After the gym, I will stop at the grocery store for some chicken.  I'm going to do some meal prep this afternoon. I have one rehearsal tomorrow and one family of piano students. Friday I have a bible study and one student. Then Saturday is the official first day of fall term for my piano students and I will be flying like the wind! Luckily the music center classes do not start until October, so I will have a bit of breathing room until then.

Such is my life!  But I feel like I am finally learn to prepare for the storm!

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i