Skip to main content

Day 129: Cyborgs



http://www.putlearningfirst.com/br/cyborgs.html

Today I started the day with a list.  A list of what I hoped to accomplish today.  It was a very peaceful time.  I think I will go back to morning lists. Usually I start with the internet. I lie in bed with my Kindle and check my email, my Facebook, my bank account. It gets my brain moving. And then I move my body.  But I have been feeling for sometime that too much internet time decreases my motivation in the real world. And last night as I rode the bus home, I put on my headphones and tuned into OPB. It was the "Ted Talk" hour. This week they have a series called "Screen Time"  Last night was part two.

The talk was by cyborg anthropologist Amber Case.  I couldn't resist the title being a bit of a science fiction geek.

I googled "cyborg".  Here is the definition from Mirriam-Webster Dictionary: "in stories : a person whose body contains mechanical or electrical devices and whose abilities are greater than the abilities of normal humans."

But from the site where I found the above picture, the definition of cyborg is:
"cyborg, n. a person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device." (http://www.putlearningfirst.com/br/cyborgs.html)


As I mentioned before, I have been pondering too much screen time in our society.  Especially me. As I write this blog!  Don't get me wrong. I think the internet is an amazing invention.  I love being able to access vast amounts of knowledge with a click of a button!

But personally, I need some Zita unplugged time.  I always have. Even before the internet. I needed personally time alone.  Preferably outside.  Amongst the trees. In fact, there is a Japanese term "Shinrin Yoku" which literally means "forest bathing". I discovered the therapeutic value of a walk in the woods as a young person. We had a small forest behind our house.  I spend many a day sitting up against a tree reading, lying on my back looking up at the clouds in the sky, or climbing trees and making forts with my little brother. 

The simple things in life.   But I digress!  If you are interested in what Amber Case had to say, you can hear her talk at http://www.npr.org/2015/09/11/438944317/are-our-devices-turning-us-into-a-new-kind-of-human

Here is an excerpt from the transcripts:


" I would like to tell you all that you are all actually cyborgs, but not the cyborgs that you think. You're not RoboCop, and you're not Terminator, but you're cyborgs every time you look at a computer screen or use one of your cell phone devices.
 
 The other thing that happens is that you have a second self. Whether you like it or not, you're starting to show up online, and people are interacting with your second self when you're not there. And so you have to be careful about leaving your front lawn open, which is basically your Facebook wall, so that people don't write on it in the middle of the night -- because it's very much the equivalent. And suddenly we have to start to maintain our second self. You have to present yourself in digital life in a similar way that you would in your analog life. So, in the same way that you wake up, take a shower and get dressed, you have to learn to do that for your digital self.

And so there are some psychological effects that happen with this. One I'm really worried about is that people aren't taking time for mental reflection anymore...And really, when you have no external input, that is a time when there is a creation of self, when you can do long-term planning, when you can try and figure out who you really are. And then, once you do that, you can figure out how to present your second self in a legitimate way, instead of just dealing with everything as it comes in --  I'm really worried that, especially kids today, they're not going to be dealing with this down-time, that they have an instantaneous button-clicking culture, and that everything comes to them, and that they become very excited about it and very addicted to it." (https://www.ted.com/talks/amber_case_we_are_all_cyborgs_now/transcript?language=en)

On that note, I am going to do some yoga stretches and unplug for the day.

Happy Tuesday! :)  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i