Skip to main content

Day 133: The Parable of the Scrahbby Apple

Another good day!  I have been feeling very calm and centered lately.  I like that. Maybe it has something to do with my lowered blood pressure, which I am certain has something to do with my healthier lifestyle.

Must continue on this path!

Today was breakfast with my mom day.  I walked up to meet her. Comically, we each thought the other was paying today.  So we had to cut back on our usual orders.  This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I had English Breakfast tea, black, 2 eggs scrambled, hashbrowns and fruit. She had the same, except with toast.

I also took my ukelele to work with me. On my break, I practised. What a fun, simple little instrument!  And a great conversation piece. I met at least 3 new people today because of my little friend!

I didn't have my normal 2:00 p.m. crash today. And I ate healthy all day.  About 4:00 p.m.  I began to feel a little panicked because I had eaten everything but an apple from my lunch.  I still had two students and a chamber music rehearsal to go.

And one of my sweet students had given me some homemade raspberry muffins.  They were calling out to me from the fridge. I didn't tell them I was avoiding gluten. I never refuse a gift.  I decided to save them for my kids.  But it was a strong temptation.

And I am proud to say I conquered the muffin!

I had a memory from childhood of my dad fixing me a "scrahbby apple". It was one of the few tender moments I remember with my dad.  He would cut an apple in half and then scrape the flesh briskly with a spoon. I remember how sweet it tasted, like fresh applesauce.

I don't know if it was the emotional aspect of this memory, but I was drawn to recreate it. And I did! I sat down after my last student of the day, with hot oolong tea and a scrahbby apple. And it tasted every bit as good as it did when I was a little girl, who adored my dad.

Some things change. Some things stay the same. But today, I was revived and renewed by the flesh of a scrahbby apple!

Happy Saturday!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…