Skip to main content

Day 139: Small Talk

I was so happy to see rain when I woke up this morning. All of our plants on the deck have perked up.  I did wake up at 6:00 a.m., but I made a conscious decision to allow myself a few hours lounging in bed before I started my day.

Next week begins fall term at the music center. My world will get much busier!

My meatloaf was superb yesterday. I will never go back to using bread crumbs again!  I used bison, grass fed beef and ground turkey. I chopped up about 1/2 cup canned mushrooms, and added some low sugar marinara sauce and 3 eggs.  Then I seasoned it with salt, pepper, oregono and paprika. 

It cooked up so nice and dense.  Didn't crumble when I cut it.  I just had a slice with Brussels sprouts and a salad for lunch. :)

I am going for a foot massage shortly and then to teach a few students. I feel very calm and balanced.

I am going to get some good piano practice in this evening.  I didn't do my trail walk. I had a bible study with some of my neighbor friends and it was raining pretty darn hard. But I did some morning stretches before my shower.

I've been getting more walking in during the course of my day. Yesterday I was 20 minutes early for my first piano students, so I got off the bus a couple stops early and walked.  And boom! Light bulb!  Instead of always rushing and running late, I will leave early and walk the time away!

Geez, sometimes it takes me awhile to get things through my skull. I've had this weird fear of being early most of my life. Probably that introvert thing. I don't like waiting around, especially if it means encountering the dreaded small talk.

But this new me sees the value in being early and having that breathing room.  Nowhere is it in writing that I have to engage in small talk.  I can walk. I can say hello and smile.  And really, there is no small talk is there? There is superficial talk.  Perhaps that's what I have an aversion to. So if I am authentic, perhaps it doesn't matter. Right?

Hmmm....food for thought.  I notice I have a lot of that lately.  I guess I am replacing my pleasure eating with pleasure thinking.  Not a bad trade!


So much more, but I must be going.

Happy Friday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i