Skip to main content

Day 122: O Nata Lux






I woke up to a beautiful fall day.  The recent rain has brought out the brilliant green.  Lovely!  Soon the leaves will be turning colors and falling.  I have noticed that I like change. No wonder the fall is my favorite season!

I am eating my grapefruit and listening to "O Nata Lux" by Morten Lauridsen  This is such a sublime vocal piece.  It is part of a requiem called Lux Aeterna. Laruidsen composed this after his mother died. His mother would play the piano at home and was his inspiration for studying music. "O Nata Lux" translates to "Oh light born from light".

Morten Johannes Lauridsen is a composer who is still alive today!  He was born in Colfax, WA in 1943. He was actually a firefighter for the US Forest Service here in the Pacific northwest before he left for college at USC. . He began teaching at USC in 1967 and has been on their faculty ever since."(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morten_Lauridsen#cite_note-Profile-3)
  
O Nata Lux came in at number 265 on the 2015 Classic FM Hall of fame. (http://halloffame.classicfm.com/2015/chart/position/265/)

I am going to head straight to the trail after I type this. It's too gorgeous to stay inside.

Then I am coming back home to clean up and meal prep for the week.


Happy Tuesday! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i