Skip to main content

Day 360: Conquering the devil

 "Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it."
 Psalm 34: 14


Wow.

5 more days until my year anniversary of this blog!

I have been a little bummed out lately, because I had hoped I would have reached my ideal weight by this time.

But like I told my negative, interior voice yesterday, let us focus on the good in my life instead of the bad!

For instance, yesterday, I was having sharp hunger pangs during my piano lesson of the evening. 

I had some angst about it.  They were really strong. I was a bit perplexed. I had visions of stuffing potato chips in my mouth. But I knew I would feel bad about myself the next day. So I resisted the stuffing of chips.  I also resisted the bowl of ice cream at the little ice cream parlor on SE Woodstock on the way home. 

Instead, I had a turkey, tomato, olive and pickle sandwich on a gluten free bun at Subway. It was not all that tasty. I am not fond of gluten free bread. But I had it toasted. And it satisfied my hunger.  I did not have any horrendous cravings afterwards. And came home and drank a large glass of water with my nightly vitamins.

Proud of self!

It does seem lately I have been backsliding on the food binging again.

Yesterday, being tired  and hot and somewhat low, I was also a bit more contemplative.  Maybe relieved that the season with my chamber group had come to an end and hence more time on my hands.

But I was just noticing how often I thought about food. And how I lost willpower as the day progressed.

I had come to the realization that food has been my idol for most of my life. In church on Sunday, the pastor quoted Matthew 4:4 "Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Jesus says this to the devil when he is being tempted in the wildnerness.

The verse Jesus was quoting found in Deuteronomy 8:3 - "“And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.” 

I have heard these scriptures many times, but it hit me over the head yesterday. Because during service, my mind kept wandering. Mostly to what I was going to eat for lunch. The devil does tempt me and distract me! And he knows how to lure me. With food!

So this is one area I am going to focus on for year number two.  More on that as I develop a plan.

Just suffice it to say that as of this evening, I have conquered the devil!

And here is my psalm of the day. Interesting first line!  Here is some interesting commentary on this psalm:
" The superscription of the psalm places it within a particular life situation of King David: "when he feigned madness before Abimelech, so that he drove him out, and he went away." The only story in the biblical text that might be associated with Psalm 34's superscription is found in 1 Samuel 21:10-15. There, David fled from Saul and went to King Achish--not Abimelech--at Gath. But Achish recognized him and David was afraid for his life, so he feigned madness to disguise his true identity.
Ascertaining a specific historical event in the life of David in which to place Psalm 34 is not as important as using the setting to gain insight into the meaning and intent of the psalm. In Psalm 34, David praises God for deliverance from a life-threatening situation--perhaps his encounter with King Achish of Gath, later remembered as Abimelech.

Psalm 34 is an alphabetic acrostic. Each verse begins with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Acrostic poems were the works of highly skilled literary artists and functioned in ancient Israelite literature in a number of ways. Acrostics were most likely memory devices to aid in private and public--that is, individual and corporate--recitation; in addition, literarily, they summarized all that could be said or that needed to be said about a particular subject, summing it up from alif to tav, from A to Z. Adele Berlin suggests further that in an acrostic, the entire alphabet−the source of all words−is marshaled in praise of God. One cannot actually use all of the words in a language, but by using the alphabet one uses all potential words."
 https://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=361


Psalm 34

Of David. When he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him away, and he left.

I will extol the Lord at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
    he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
    and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
    for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 Whoever of you loves life
    and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
    and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
    seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
    and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
    to blot out their name from the earth.
17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
    he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19 The righteous person may have many troubles,
    but the Lord delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.
21 Evil will slay the wicked;
    the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The Lord will rescue his servants;
    no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

You know, I could live my life focusing on verse 14.

Speaking of turning from evil, I am going to rise up this very moment and head to the gym!

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i