Skip to main content

Year Two: Day 4, St. Zita the Little Cook




In my "office", at the library.  :)
Back in my "office". I do love the library. So much!  I am on my usual computer.  It is a lovely, hot day.  And the A/C here is so refreshing on my sore feet!

Speaking of sore feet, I am doing something very brave today. I plan on going to the gym at the end of my teaching tonight. This is a risky adventure.  I might be too tired, hungry or cranky at the end of the day, but I am packing my gym bag with me. To instill a big dose of guilt, should I start making excuses not to make it to the gym.

Plus, hey, I can do a bit of cardio whilst watching the reality show that is Election 2016. Should be entertaining. It will at least make the time fly. Then I can go soak my tired toes in a hot tub!

I can do this!

I had a busy morning, mostly piano practice and setting up my summer teaching schedule.  Still quite sore. And battling allergies. I drank a bunch of water, tea and chewed some vitamin C tablets.  Felt almost human, but not energetic enough to race off to the gym before teaching.

I know we don't get much sun here in Portland, but it does drain me.

So I took it easy at home.  And had a nice leisurely lunch. Let me tell you, dude, those cabbage rolls I made in my crockpot yesterday were amazing! I had one for dinner last night, another for lunch today.

I had some leftover filling for the cabbage rolls, so I stuffed two green peppers and froze those for a future crockpot meal.  My daughter has a new job and is working many hours, so I told her I would be happy to take over the kitchen. I enjoy cooking, especially since we have this system!

Also, I can't help but feel like I am honoring my grandmother. My Grandma Annie, my mother's mother was from Czechoslovakia. She raised a family of four children on a farm in West, Texas during the depression with just her sister to help. She farmed, baked her own bread and kolaches, butchered her own chickens. Was up at the crack of dawn every morning filling the house with wonderful smells and taking care of her family.

I was always awe of her.  It somehow feels right to come back full circle to cooking for people I care about. It feels me with a deep inner peace.  Must be in my genes.  I was named after a saint, after all. "St. Zita the Little Cook" of Sicily (1218-1272). Apparently her feast day is April 27th - I just missed it! She was known for her baking. I don't think they were gluten free back then. But you can read about her here:

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=582

On that note, I am dusting off my halo and going to the gym!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist