Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 8: The Best Chili Ever!!





My goodness, the black bean turkey chili in the crockpot smells divine! I need to write down, this very moment how I made it, because this is seriously the BEST CHILI EVER!!!

I soaked a pot of black beans overnight. Then I hauled my sore body out of bed at 7:00 a.m., drained the water, poured on some fresh water to cover and put them in our smaller crockpot on low.

When I finally got vertical, I switched the crockpot to high.

Then I went to the stove and sauteed a package of ground turkey, 3 cloves minced garlic, half an onion minced,  and a diced jalapeno in some olive oil. I added the following seasonings:  1 tablespoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (which I put on nearly everything), 1 teaspoon cumin,  half teaspoon turmeric, half teaspoon red pepper flakes,  a quarter teaspoon cinnamon (trust me, this enhances the flavor big time!), and a splash of worcestershire sauce.  I simmered for a few minutes and then added a big can of chopped tomatoes (28 ounces) and simmered some more.

Then I dumped this all into our big crockpot and added a can of tomato paste.

Then I sat down at the kitchen table with my prayer journal, Bible, day planner and a cup of Earl Grey tea. I had the sliding glass door open behind me. Honey Dog was running in and out, looking for cats and squirrels, no doubt.  All the kids were at work. I felt very peaceful.

I journalled, prayed and read a bit. Then, the hunger kicked in, so I sauteed a chicken sausage and nuked some instant grits in the microwave.

By this time, the beans were cooked almost to perfection. So I turned off the small crock and let them sit for a bit while I ate my breakfast.

Then I dumped the black beans with their liquid into the large crockpot with the meat mixture. I gave it a stir and a taste. OMG!

Then I contemplated my grits.  How tasty they were. Which got me thinking. Perhaps I should put a polenta crust on the chili?  But this chili is so good alone, and a huge portion. What if the polenta ruined it.

So Oila! I discovered a recipe for polenta croutons online.  http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2014/06/polenta-croutons.html

I have a pan of cooked polenta cooling, ready for the final frying step. I will let you know how they turn out.

I just tried another taste of the chili. It is done and ready for me to enjoy! I had better get busy with my croutons.

Today I am feeling the need to be kind to myself.  Gentle even. A nice peaceful, cloudy morning  of reading, cooking, sipping tea and a big bowl of steamy chili should do the trick!

I am going to do some stretching, crunches and pushups in my room whilst listening to the Mozart Requiem. Then off to teach a few piano students.

Tuesday and Wednesday I have taken off for piano practice and long gym workouts.

I am still pondering Psalm 40, and I have some reflections. But they are on the back burner. Behind the chili.

I will talk about more about Psalm 40 and some revelations from scripture, the pastor at the church I attend, and the workings of the Holy Spirit in my heart tomorrow when I have more time.

But for now.....

CHILI!

Happy Monday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist