Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 7: The Good Fight

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
~Timothy 4:7
King James Bible

I love this scripture.  I need to write it on a card and put it in my purse for when I am feeling weak.  Physically, emotionally, spiritually.  It is a good scripture to ponder.

In My "Office"

Another warm, drizzly day in Portland. I love it! Especially when I am all warm and cozy in the neighborhood library! I stopped by to blog a bit before I teach a piano student. After which I am headed to a bass sectional.  

Last night I rehearsed with the soloists and the other pianist for the Mozart Requiem.

This Requiem will be the death of me! After rehearsal last night, I was very tired and in need of  some R&R, so I watched a few episodes of "The Sopranos". I had rented the entire first season at my last library visit.

I have never ever seen an episode of The Sopranos.  I remember when James Gandolfini passed away a few years back.  People were mourning him in his role as Tony Soprano.  Now I know why. I friggin love this series!

I usually avoid violent tv shows and movies. Especially involving the mob.  But lately I seem to be drawn to all things Italian.  I am immersed in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie Plum is an Italian American bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey. There are 22 books in the series. I just finished book number five. Last night on the Max.

I think these rehearsals are fueling my need for escape. I enjoy a challenging work of music. And I usually always enjoy performance so much that it is like an out of body experience.

But rehearsals are draining to me. I am quite the introvert. If you can't already tell.  I almost go into panic mode if I am stuck somewhere without a book. Or my Kindle.

To tell you truth, I prefer a book. The real entity.  E-books bug me.  It's like reading yet another computer screen. A book has a feeling. A personality. A smell.  It is like a friend.

Yes, I am a book nerd.

Proud of it, I am!

I also notice that when I am immersed in a novel I enjoy, I eat less.  Perhaps because I am not reading recipes on the internet, or sitting at the kitchen table with my cookbooks.  One of my weird, self destructive addictions is reading recipes whilst stuffing my face. Preferably with hot, buttered, heavily salted popcorn.

Now my secret is out!

I am committed to change!  

I guess mystery books and shows about Italian gangsters may be the ticket to my weight loss.

We shall see!

But I am down two pounds from last week. :)

Yay!

I am still contemplating Psalm 40.  But now I need to run to my student's house.  I have chicken fajitas waiting in the slow cooker for me for dinner.

Tomorrow, will be a black bean, turkey chili day.

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist