Skip to main content

Year Two: Day 2, Reinstating of "The Rule"

I am going to focus on fruits and vegetables today. I ate entirely too much yesterday. I started out well. Almost finished well. Was actually telling myself on the bus ride home, that I needed to resurrect the no food after 7:00 p.m. rule again from last year. It was a good rule. I think I will bring it back, with the understanding that with my schedule, sometimes a small, late night dinner without guilt is allowed!

But last night I was blindsided. I opened the door to my son with his best friend and girlfriend. Really sweet kids. They were watching the Blazers, who at that moment had a ten point lead on the Warriors.

I had planned on grabbing a large glass of water and heading to my room for a bit of piano practice and bedtime with book.

But instead watched the game. My son's friends brought the fixings for tacos and rice. I had a bowl of rice, topped with taco meat and guacamole.

 It was an intense, close game. It was a blast to hoot and holler and yell at Curry when he led his team to crush us in overtime. I consoled myself with a chocolate. They had brought me a box as a Mother's Day gift.

But, hey, I only ate one! And it was a stressful game!!

 I do not regret it. I spend way too much time alone.

So I will just have a cleansing food day today.

And reinstate the "no food after 7:00 p.m. law.

On that note, time to practice.

I think I will take a walk today before I teach. The weather is too go r gorgeous for words!!

I leave you with these passages from my psalm of the day, Psalm 36:


Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the highest mountains,
    your justice like the great deep.
    You, Lord, preserve both people and animals.
How priceless is your unfailing love, O God!
    People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house;
    you give them drink from your river of delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
    in your light we see light.

I plan on writing these words on an index card and packing it with me to glance at when the urge to binge strikes!

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist