Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 239: All in All It's Just Another Bump in the Road...

Well my reality changed in a moment. Remind me not to say I am feeling content and well balanced.  My son would say I "jinxed" myself. 

My daughter and son-in-law informed me last night that our landlord is selling the house we are renting. We need to vacate the premises by March 1st.

They are planning on purchasing a home in Vancouver, WA near their church.

Booting the mama out, they are.  Well in the most kind and gentle manner.  They do deserve a life of their own. Although, I dare say they will miss my kitchen skills! :)

I will be seeking a modest, inexpensive (inexpensive apartment in Portland, Oregon. Can you say oxymoron?)

I believe I will be renting a place with my son, if all goes as planned. I certainly cannot afford a place on my own, unless I want to get two more jobs!

Right now, I am seeking one part time job. I applied for a church secretary job with just the right hours. Not the best pay, but it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Ideally, I am hoping to find a church pianist job. But these seem to be few and far between.  

If you are a praying person, would you pray for our family? I realize I am not prepared for this.  As a musician and piano teacher, and worried mom, I have spent most of the last 26 years in survival mode.

I am still thinking that living in a camper van sounds like the ticket. But my son is just getting back on his feet and not sure he is ready to fly solo quite yet.


I am also considering doing a piano concert fundraiser. I did that several years ago to help fund my move to Salem when my daughter was getting married.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now.  I am going to take a prayer break.  Be back hopefully with a calmer state of mind....


Ok.  I feel better. I wrote in my prayer journal, read my Bible and did my daily reading and exercise in the "Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius".

I am glad I did. Today's scripture is Matthew 16: 24-26. 


24" Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Matthew 16:24-26  (NKJV)

 I needed that.  To put my priorities in place.  This is just another bump in the road.  I have my family, my health, my job and God.  


Deep breath...

I realize I sometimes fall into the category of a "fair weather Christian". It is so easy to praise God when things are going well. I also, am the panic stricken "HELP ME" type of Christian. You, know when I feel like I am sinking into the abyss I cry out. Then He always comes through. I thank Him, but then unfortunately go back to my somewhat self centered life shortly after.

 

This current development is not going to be a quick fix. It will require much patience and life style changes.

 But...


I shall survive! I've come through much worse.

And, when the going gets tough, the tough make casseroles! Today's is a tater tot casserole.

I feel better already!



I will do my best to continue this blog. After all, it is my life boat!

Happy Thursday!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist