Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 254: The Martian on Inauguration Day

Starbucks "Sous Vide Bacon and Gouda Egg Bites" Gluten free? Oui!  




Confession time. I did not make it to the gym. Ok. I MADE it in. But to cancel my membership.  At LA Fitness. I am keeping my Crunch Membership.  Crunch is only $9.99 a month. LA was $30. But the good news is, I can still work out at LA until the middle of March since I paid first and last month's when I joined.

I explained to them that I am moving and need every last penny for rent.  All the young people at the front desk nodded their heads in understanding. Such is the rental environment in Portland, Oregon!

I was greatly relieved. But did not have time to workout before I went to the music center to teach.

But I did some good fast walking!

I walked on over to Starbucks first and had a butterscotch latte and tried their new "Sous Egg Bites.  One of my piano student families had given me a Starbucks card for my birthday. Still celebrating am I!

Those egg bites were incredible! I talked to the barista and she said they prepared them in a very "intricate French method of cooking".  Whatever...they were delicious. Perfect texture!

I also cancelled my Gwynnie Bee clothing rental membership today.  She DID try to talk me out of it, but after I told her my story and how I LOVED Gwynnie Bee, but needed to cut out all nonessentials in my life, she agreed to cancel me.  $30 more saved a month!

I had a lovely afternoon teaching.  But on the bus ride home, I saw on breaking news that the protests downtown Portland had gotten violent. There were flag burnings and multiple arrests.

This made me quite sad.  I had watched the inauguration this morning.  Was pleased that it was boringly peaceful.  Politics my whole life have struck me as quite mundane. Perhaps because I was raised in a lower income household and never really rose above, at least financially. My life has been finding beauty and purpose as I fought to survive.  So my little world has not been changed much by which party holds office. 

It has just been with this last charismatic president that many of us have paid attention. And our eyes have been opened to the racism that still thrives in our country.  And all the marginalized who are not treated equally.

It is an intensely interesting era we live in.

I felt myself breathe a sigh of relief after Trump was sworn in. I did not vote for him. But I do not hate him.  In fact, with all the people spewing hatred about him, I find myself wanting him to succeed.

I was especially saddened to hear my own piano students call him names. They said at school they call him "Cheeto Head" and "Yellow Hair". 

How is it ok to makes fun of someone based on their appearance? Is that not prejudice? What are we teaching our children?

Sigh.  I don't want to get political. I am one who can see many sides. I call myself Democrat, but I accept many Republican views.

I hope that the scenarios that so many people who are out protesting do not develop. But I hope our country is awake enough now to keep our politicians accountable. And to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

As I type this, I keep seeing the image of our country's flag on fire. And I am saddened. I think of all the military people who risked their lives for the freedom that flag signifies.

So many thoughts.  But the bottom line is, we have a new president.  I, for one would not only like to see him succeed, but see our country grow from this experience. 

I will keep watch. And keep praying.

In the meantime, in my little world, I have students to teach, my health to improve, a new home to find and a life to live. No matter who is in office.

When I got home tonight, I was going to sit right down and write this blog. But my daughter and her husband asked me to watch a movie with them. They had rented "The Martian" with Matt Damon.

I was mesmerized. I LOVED this film. And I found it highly appropriate that we watched it on inauguration day. My kids were equally disturbed about the flag burning and the hate speech tossed around online.

After the movie, I said, "Perhaps this is what our world needs now. An international incident to bring us together."

Happy Friday.

God bless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist