Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 245: A Winter Wonderland. Survival Mode!

Another snow day!

The weathermen are ecstatic! They predicted snow to begin last night around 7:00 p.m. And continue overnight with accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Well it snowed as predicted, but instead of 1 to 3 inches, nearly a foot or more in some places! Still, this makes a much more interesting weather report than the typical Portland day...rain, drizzle, overcast... :)

I was at my last student's home at 6:00 p.m. when little puffs started to float down. By 6:30, when I left, snow was swirling around, hitting me in the face and coating the ground.

Shortly before the snow began, I got a call from the music center. The 7:00 p.m. choir practice I accompany had been canceled due to inclement weather.  I must say I was disappointed.  All this time off work has really shown me that I like to work, especially when it involves playing music with other people.

Maybe my introversion is reverting?

So I stopped in at my home away from home - the public library.  I wanted to print a map for the interview I have coming up. Yup! An interview! I had applied for a part time church secretary position a few weeks ago. I received an email from the pastor yesterday inviting me for an interview!  We just need to confirm day and time.

Once the roads clear.

I am quite excited...it is very part time, but mornings. It will not interfere with my afternoon teaching. Plus it will give me a dependable income that I so desparately need right now. Like for unpaid snow days (in my world, all time off is unpaid), sick days, and breaks between teaching.

I am teetoring on a precarious cliff with my finances at the moment.

But I am breathing. Staying calm. Looking at the snow outside my window. It is lovely!

Anyway, by the time I left the library, it was practically blizzarding!

I stopped in at Fred Meyer for a quick snack...olives and a fruit salad...I am sticking to my paleo plan! I texted the Trimet Transit Tracker to determine the arrival time of the next bus.

I had a small check to deposit and then got to the bus stop with what I thought was moments to spare. There was a small group of shivering people gathering under the shelter of the bus stop.

One young teenage boy kept asking me to check the arrival time.  It reminded me of the "Are we there yet?" queries from my children when we would go on road trips.

I kept checking. But no bus. The boy kept walking out into the street saying, "I think I see it!" But then, "Oh, no, that's not it. That's a truck."

It was alarming, because the people driving in the street were sliding haphazardly. We kept begging him to stay on the sidewalk. Then I noticed how he was shivering, and his hands were bare.

I reached in my purse and, Thank you God!, I had an extra pair of gloves. I pulled him out of the street and said, "Here, this might help the wait. You look cold!"

He was so happy. "Gloves!", he squeaked. "Thank you".

Just then an SUV pulled up and rolled down it's window. A lady inside bellowed, "The bus is back there stuck on the hill!"

We all groaned.  But finally it pulled up. I was never so happy to see a bus. Very warm inside.  People were being especially friendly, giving up seats for older people. (I guess I am older! A young lady offered me her seat. I gladly took it!)

So it blizzarded all night. And my son decided to go to his friend's house.  He said he is a grown man and knows what he is doing. I tried to talk him out of it, but finally realized I have never been able to talk him out of ANYTHING!

We had a bit of a moment. He actually hugged me, said he loved me and showed me that he had a warm coat, gloves and he was wearing two layers.

I said a prayer for his safety. I did not stay up all night like usual worrying about him.  I can't spend my whole life worrying!

I made tea.  Watched the snow.  And this morning woke up to a winter wonderland!

Honey Dawg was a little tentative. The snow was about 12 inches on the deck. So when I opened the sliding glass door to let her out, she sank up to her knees. Do dogs have knees? Well halfway up her legs.

But once she was out in out, she was bounding around like a deer!

I made more ginger tea today, And sweet potato pancakes for breakfast. I have a crockpot full of collard greens simmering for dinner. My son-in-law has a roast in the smoker.

After I am done blogging, I think I will take a walk in the snow and then come home and do the stretches my physical therapist has assigned me.  I wish I could make it to the gym, but I fear the bus ride would be hours!

I am worried about the next few months.  So much time lost from work due to first my back injury, then my flu, and now snow days.

But I am feeling hopeful. Even if this secretary job does not work out.

My family is all alive and accounted for.

We will survive!

Happy Wednesday!

Honey Dawg at the door. Not sure she wants to go out!

Our backyard

That snow covered lump is my son-in-law's truck!

Honey Dawg frollicking in the snow!

My walk last night when the snow started to fall.

Heading to the bus stop in the blizzard!

Honey the Snow Dog

Our Backyard. Love the tree!



Our Backyard - Blizzard at Night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i