Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job!

I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!)

I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER!

Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog.

Ok. Since I have been alive!

Not a morning person, am I!

 :)

I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!"

And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good!

But about those hurdles...

First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and then transfer to one bus that would drop me off in front of the church

Half an hour trip on a normal day.

Alas, yesterday was not a nirmal day.

Tri-Met suggested only taking buses after the derailment. The news flash said the train slid off an icy track. They showed a video of crews with blow torches attempting to melt the ice.

Well,  good thing I didn't take MAX to the mall and transfer, because the bus that would drop me literally right off in front of the church had cancelled it's route due to inclement weather.

Soo...I would have to take two buses and then walk 3/4 of a mile. Noo problemo says I. I am a walking maniac!

Except yesterday, each step was precarious. And my first bus didn't show. A bunch of us commuters sat huddled, shivering at the bus stop. We could SEE the bus. The transit tracker said it was due. But it just sat there.

So I started walking. Actually it was a beautiful morning. Remember my pictures from yesterday? Chrystal clear, brilliant blue sky. Sun reflecting off of the snow.

Yes, cold it was. But I had on multiple layers!

Sooo...I decided to treat myself. I walked right on up to McDonald's and ordered an Egg McMuffin and two hash browns. I had already had my tea, so no coffee.

Because, you see, I CANNOT drink coffee without cream and sugar.

Now, remember I am avoiding gluten. So, I came up with a brilliant scheme.

Egg McBrowns!

I tossed the muffins...well I left them on my tray. In case a hungry person happened by.

Then I pulled out the egg, ham and cheese and sandwiched it all between the hash browns.

Really, frikkin good!


It made the wait for the next bus much more pleasant. My next bus came right away.  But it was slow going.  Our poor city.  All the roads are still covered in compacted snow.  With some areas of gray slush.  Finally I reached my transfer spot.  The next bus came within ten minutes. I still had an hour until my interview.

A warm bus at last! Do you see how red my poor cold nose is?


I was feeling hopeful. The bus was nice and warm.  It let me off and I started walking.  The sun was still shining.  I walked along for a few blocks, and then noticed there was no more sidewalk. Just mounds of crusty snow, with shiny spots where the sun had tried to melt it a bit. Those spots were very slippery.

My destination was rather rural. Out there, the road at least was clear. So rather than navigate the mounds of crusty snow and slipper slush, I walked in the road until I would hear a car. Then I would ease over to the shoulder and let them pass.

It made for slow going, but safe going-
I made it to the church! So happy was I!

And so early! No one else was around. I walked around back to the office where we were to meet. Door was locked. I was 30 minutes early. I am never that early to anything!

So I looked on the bright side. After my horrendous morning, worrying that I would be late, or not make it at all, there I was - Early!

So I relaxed, pulled my scarf tight around my neck and played "Words with Friends" on my phone until I heard movement inside.

I instantly liked the pastor and the committee member that interviewed me. I felt a big sigh of relief. We talked a bit, and then they had me do a skills test.

I haven't done office work in years, but it all seemed to come back to me. It was really fun! The pastor even had me add her on Facebook as one of my tasks. And FB message her. I rule at FB, so that was a piece of cake!

A couple hours later, when I was safe and warm in the piano lab at the music center, clearing out music and wiping down pianos (very few students made the trip, so I got into killer cleaning and organizing mode!), I heard my phone buzz that I had a new email.

And it was the pastor offering me the job!

Happy Camper am I!

I will start my new job this coming Tuesday.

I came home last night and made a celebratory Greek chicken salad. No croutons, but yes I splurged and put cheese on top. It's not truly authentic. That is not feta it's blue cheese. Man was it tasty! Better than the Egg McBrowns even!


And now for more celebrating -

Today is my birthday...the big 55 (I get a senior discount now! And a free Starbucks drink this month)

My daughter and I are going to get massages and then out to lunch.

I will start to reorganize my life on Sunday.

Happy Saturday!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i