Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 240: Kicking Darkness in the A*SS!




I woke up feeling energized this morning. Had a lovely breakfast of tea, and steel cut oatmeal.

Was feeling peaceful and strong.

Then I turned on the news. Breaking news. Another shooting.
This time at the airport in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/fort-lauderdale-airport-incident/index.html

My heart is racing.  Tears well up. I say a quick prayer.  It is becoming normal, yet each time there is a shooting, my awareness is heightened.  My feelings are raw. The "what ifs" bounce around in my head.  There were many people returning home after the holidays in airports all over our country. What if it had been one of my friends or family members?  I always take time to read the story and pray for the victims. We are all children of God here. If one is suffering, we all are. 

Today was the staff meeting at the music center where I teach.  It was a long meeting. Thankfully we only have one such meeting a year. It is why I have continued to teach there nearly 20 years!  Well, that and I love teaching music.  But, meetings...not my favorite past time!

We had a lot of information about policy and procudure.

We also had drills. One such drill was an "active shooter" drill.  I was not satisfied with this drill.  We merely talked about what Portland Police suggest during an active shooter situation: "Run, Hide, Fight!"

If an active shooter situation develops in our building, someone will trigger the alarm. A little musical bell. If we are in our classrooms, we are to lock the door, turn off the lights and tell our students to take cover.

There are a lot of ifs in this scenario. What if we do not hear the little "dingy" bell?  (It sounds like a doorbell. And hello! Students throughout the building will be playing music. Who will be able to make out the sound of a little dingy door bell? Sigh.)

Also, what if we are not in our classrooms. Perhaps walking in the hall?

I am a little fired up right now. But I long ago realized that as a piano teacher, my number one priority is not piano. That is the subject. My number one priority is the safety of the my students while they are in my charge.

I may be over reacting.  Last year when we first got information about an active shooter, we all kind of laughed nervously. I imagine many like me doubted that anyone would come into our music center with a gun.

But it is happening. Everywhere. And I do not want to live my life with my head in the sand. Like an ostrich. That is one ugly bird.  And stupid too!

So I fired off a letter to the director and staff at the music center. I actually did some research and found out the the Portland Police Bureau has an "Active Shooter Response Training".

Here is the link: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/71187

I am absolutely interested in attending this.

Aside from wanting to save my students, my children and the world, my day is going better than usual. Nothing like a cause to get my metabolism revved up!

Well, and a musical performance. The school musical that was cancelled last month due to snow was rescheduled for today.

It was lovely.  Kindergartners and second graders singing about saving our environment.

They gave me a bouquet of flowers after the performance.  Many happy families.  But my heart hurts for the people in Florida.

And everyone who has lost a loved one due to violence.

Life is so precious and short.  I really want to embrace the light and live in the moment.  But the darkness surrounds us.

Usually I block it out. Sleep too much.  Focus on my own little issues.  But if there is a way I can make a difference, it invigorates me.

And then:

Zita the Conqueror emerges!

Here is what I plan on doing in my own little corner of the word:

  • I will learn how to respond to an active shooter.
  • I will go to the gym, and get strong. I will lose weight. I will be able to defend myself and others if necessary. 
  • I will find another place to live at the end of February.
  • And I will find more work!

Take that darkness!! I am here to kick your A*SS

Happy Friday everyone else!

And prayers for the people of Fort Lauderdale.  May peace prevail.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist