Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 147: The Baby Hop

I had such a lovely visit with my daughter and granddaughter last night. But I woke up most sore! I feel like I worked out in the gym for an hour.

Only I didn't. But I did dance and sing while holding Baby Gracie for an hour. She had quite a fussy time from about 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. when her mom and dad got home.

She had slept like an angel on my lap on the rocking chair for about an hour. My daughter had written out a schedule for us. At 7:00, I was to awaken her, change her diaper and feed her.  She had two small bottles ready.



I hesitated to wake a soundly sleeping baby. But I knew that if she didn't wake up and eat, that she would be fussy for my daughter later. I remember those sleepless nights from when my children were babies.  Sleep deprivation sucks!

So at 7:00 p.m., I woke her by changer her diaper. She let out a howl of protest.  I got her changed and wrapped in nice blanket. I grabbed her bottle and warmed it in a cup of warm tap water.

Then we got settled on the rocking chair again.  I got her in a good feeding position and tilted the bottle. She immediately latched on and started drinking, making little animal noises. She finished her first bottle in just a few minutes. I was a little alarmed. My daughter had fed her before they left. She had made two bottles for me "just in case". She anticipated her just needing one bottle.

I stood up and patted her back, until a nice burp was released. Then we sat back down and I started rocking. But she was wide awake now. And quite fussy. And hungry looking.  I rocked her for awhile. She fussed.

I got up and walked with her, patting her back in case she was needing another burp.

She started to howl. She sounded like a hungry animal. So I put her safely in her crib and prepared another bottle.

And she practically inhaled it! I could imagine her saying in a British accent, "Thank you Grandma. Might I have another?"

Only, that was the last one!

So we repeated the rocking, walking and burping, diaper checking.  And then I thought to grab her binky. She might just need comforting. She could not possibly still be hungry! Or could she?

I looked at the clock. One more hour until her mom and dad returned.  She did not seem happy about her binky. She was sucking on it angrily and glaring at me.  But it calmed her.

For a few minutes. Until she let out another loud howl and spit her binky across the room!

I put her in her crib and got on my hands and knees. Binky was nowhere to be found.

I was feeling a little panicky. How did I soothe my babies?  Then out of desperation, I picked the little fussbucket up and started to dance around the room. I remember how she responded to music her first night home from the hospital. My daughter didn't want me playing the piano for her this late, because that was an "awake activity" that might encourage her to be up all night. She told me to only do calming, soothing activities.

I started to hum. For some reason the tune "The Bunny Hop" came out of my mouth.

And Baby Grace stopped howling!  I swayed, humming the tune. Her eyes got big. Her mouth formed an "Oh" of wonder.  I thought I detected a smile!




So for the next hour we bunny hopped!  I hummed the tune. We swayed. We twirled and when we to the "hop, hop, hop" part, I bounced her gently.

By the time her mom and dad got back she was very calm. My daughter had a hard time believing that she had been howling at me angrily and hungrily!

My son-in-law drove me to the Max Station near the airport. The Starbucks there has decided to close at 9;00 p.m. now during the week.

But the frozen yogurt shop was still open. I had a small scoop and read my Joyce Meyer book.  And ever so often, I looked at pictures of my granddaughter and smiled.

It really was a magical evening.
This morning I was moving quite slowly. I blame it on all the baby hopping last night.   But I did not miss my hoop session! Day 111 it was today!



Later on I had a bit of a panic attack. I have been so immersed in grandmahood that I have quite neglected my piano practice. I have a little concert with my friends in a chamber group on October 21st. We practiced last weekend and I was quite rough. I offered a disclaimer before rehearsal that I was a new grandma. I practiced a bit this week. But I need more work. My friend texted me yesterday and asked if I could rehearse again Saturday.  I could.

But then my daughter was asking when I would be over to visit Baby Grace.  I somehow got my dates mixed up in my mind (This has been happening a lot, since the baby has arrived!)  Somehow I was thinking TOMORROW was 10/14 and next Saturday was the concert.

I practiced like a fiend this morning. And brought my music to practice between classes at the music center. I even stopped at the library (my home away from home) and made some enlarged cleaner copies of my sheet music.

On my way, I stopped at Starbucks for a caffeinated boost.  And I felt the need to pray. I read my Joyce Meyer book.  She suggested in keeping one's life positive, to attempt to simplify.  I told myself I would not watch tv, or go on social media or play Words with Friends at all the next week so I could prepare for my concert. Then I prayed to God to help me get through this without letting the other musicians down.

Then I grabbed my coffee and began my walk to the music center. It was a lovely day.  A hint of the cooler fall weather to come in the breeze. But the sun was shining.  There were some leaves blowing about.  I felt happy, even though my heart was thudding with anxiety.  I scolded myself for procrastinating.  Not the first time in my life!

And then suddenly it dawned on me.  Tomorrow was NOT the 14th. It was the 7th!  The concert was 2 weeks away!  I laughed and almost skipped down the street. I stopped right there and thanked God.

I almost feel like He altered time for me! 

But of course, my anxiety had muddle my brain. 

I went to teach my classes with a light heart. I have often said that one of the keys to happiness is relief. And most relieved am I!

But I did practice more on my breaks. Must not let myself get too comfortable. Not sure if God would rescue me a second time!

Anyway, on that note, it is off to bed for me.  Tomorrow is breakfast with my mom day and a long day teaching, culminating with another rehearsal - which I feel much more prepared for!


Talk to you tomorrow.

Happy Friday!

Love,

Zita











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i