Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 145: Meditating on Things Above v. The Matrix Below

I woke up really cranky. Seething with anger, really. Heart racing, head pounding. 

I have been obsessed with learning more about the Las Vegas shooter and his girlfriend as the authorities try to determine motive.  I have been getting angry and frustrated. This always happens after one of our mass shooting in the United States.

I am sure I'm not alone.

But I am quite irritated at how everything seems to go back to normal so quickly after these atrocities.

The news plasters it on every channel 24/7 for a few days and then they start focusing on shallow stories about celebrities and politicians. And the word wars begin on social media concerning gun control and 2nd amendment rights.

And the conspiracy theories pop up. But I must admit, this last shooting reeks.  It does not make any sense.  They found an arsenal of weapons in his home. His girlfriend had been conveniently flown out of the country prior to the shooting. And then wired much money. She claims to have a "clean conscience".

But why?  A wealthy retiree just suddenly snaps? This attack required much planning. There just has to be more to the story.

Sometimes I feel like our world is like the movie "The Matrix". Nothing is really as it seems.

GRRRRR! 

Ok.

 I need a break. The more I try to understand this evil, the more angry I become.  I will not avoid the news, but I'm at this place again where I need to distance myself.

Looking at pictures of my baby granddaughter helps soothe the burning fire in my heart. 





But then I get fired up again. My grandmotherly protective instinct kicks in. How will I protect my family, and this precious, innocent new life from the evils of this world?

I know. Focus on the light. The good will overcome.

I am going to take a break right now and pray. And read my Joyce Meyer book. And read from the psalms.

I have been pounding furiously on these computer keys! So intense are my emotions!

I will return when I am a bit calmer....ttfn...


I am back! And I am renewed.

Coincidentally, (or not!) my daughter called while I was making tea. She said,

"Mom, you told me you were not going to post anymore political things on Facebook anymore because you got too upset with the comments".

I knew what she was referring to. Remember how I said I was seething with anger about the latest mass shooting? Well, I was posting like mad this morning. Mostly about the need for gun control, like every other civilized country on this planet. I was quite worked up.

Then I went to my office job.  Unbeknownst to me, I got many comments. Some quite contrary. 

My heart starting beating rapidly. I could feel my blood pressure rise. I tried to explain myself to my daughter. But before we could start to debate, I thought of my granddaughter.

It does not help me be kind and loving to get so upset about things I cannot control. I can be aware. I can pray. I can sign petitions.  But ultimately, I still have my life to live.

I told my daughter how upset I was.

"I know", she said. "But I do not want you upset when you babysit Grace".

That did it. I deleted all of my political posts. The only ones that remain are the ones remembering the victims.  And some positive affirmations. And pictures of my granddaughter.

I feel much better.

AND THEN...

I opened up my devotional book: Challenge: Daily Meditation Program Based on "The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius" by Mark Link, S.J.

The scripture today is Colossians 3:1:

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God." (Colossians 3:1 NIV)

I felt instant peace wash over me. I realized that this is not the only crazy time our world has ever seen. People of faith have lived through much worse circumstances and risen above.  

I need constant reminders to not let myself be swayed by the evils of this world.  

I read on in Colossians. This is 3:1-11. I wish I could paste this on my forehead!


Not Carnality but Christ

3 "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.
But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all."
(Colossians 3:1-11New King James Version (NKJV)

AND THEN...

Today's exercise in the companion workbook to the book I am reading by Joyce Meyer (The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affect Your Mood, Behavior and Decisions) is this:

"Practically speaking, how does it help you overcome your troubles or difficulties when you consider who you are in Christ? Think of a specific issue you're facing and how you can apply this principle".  (The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affect Your Mood, Behavior and Decisions by Joyce Meyer
Of course I immediately wrote:

"I have been so angry, upset and anxious about the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas.  Was obsessing over the details, the motive, and gun control. Posting madly all over Facebook. Thankfully my daughter called me. She reminded me about how upset I got by comments on my political posts. I took them all down and started to instead focus on the love for my daughter, granddaughter, family and God."

All better now!
For today!

I think I will end my blog here. On a positive note.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita 

P.S. Today was Day 109 of my Daily Hooping Experiment. I ate very healthy all day yesterday and so far today! Making a homemade green banana/mocha smoothie for breakfast, chicken sausage and sauerkraut for lunch, fruit for snacks and will have a healthy hot, steaming bowl of Pho for dinner!  



ps I seem to have gotten my white highlight function stuck. Every word is highlighted in white. I was getting angry and frustrated trying to fix it. I think it happens every time I cut and paste a scripture passage rather than type it manually. 

But then...

Every word highlighted in white is nice. White is the color for purity and holiness.  So I am going to leave it be.

Be still my pounding heart. 

Focus on all that is good, holy and pure.


So be it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i