Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 160: This is Why I Ride!

5:00 p.m.

I've had such a stellar day today so far! And that is saying a lot. It has been pouring down rain all day, skies are slate gray. Not too cold though.

But the amazing thing is how my commutes have gone! I set out this morning after my hoop session to catch the Max to the Cascades Station Transit Station. Where I had a brief layover with a London Fog tea at Starbucks.

Then I ordered a "Lyft" ride over the bridge to Vancouver to see my daughter. I love Lyft! But alas, I cannot afford $13.00 every time I want to cross the bridge. Especially now that I do not have my church office job.

There is a bus that goes from the Parkrose Transit Center in Portland, straight to Fisher's Landing in Vancouver. From there, it is just one C-Tran bus to my daughter and Baby Gracie's house.

Her new nickname is "Gracie Belly" by the way. I discovered it by accident, actually out of desparation this morning. She was quite fussy when I arrived, so I made up a nonsense song and danced around with her. My daughter started laughing and said, "Gracie Belly! Perfect!"

Gracie's middle name is Isabel.

So it is perfect! Especially since she sometimes has a gassy belly and needs a song and dance to cheer her up.

But I digress.  The bus ride from Parkrose to Vancouver seemed too time consuming for me, since I am not an early riser. So I have been taking Max to Cascades, having a nice cup of something at Starbucks and then taking Lyft car to Vancouver.

But I can no longer be a lady of leisure! Fall term is in swing, I have several piano performances coming up and a dwindling bank account!

Helping take care of Gracie Belly is my priority, but if I can't take care of myself, I am no use to anyone!

Today, since I had an earlier piano lesson cancellation, I did not need to be in Portland until about 4:30.  So after a wonderful visit with my daughter and Gracie Belly, I grabbed my umbrella, pulled on my rainboots and walked to the C-Tran stop near her house. It pleased me to hop on and find that it looked just like a Tri-Met bus! And my "Hop" card worked! I just tapped it and on I went.

The ride to Fisher's Landing was probably the longest ride of the day. But it was pleasant. Not as many passengers commute in Vancouver, or perhaps it is just that it is a smaller city.

But the pleasant surprise was the Parkrose direct bus. It picked me and two other passengers up at Fisher's Landing, and sped off to the I-205 freeway, over the bridge and directly to Parkrose.

Plus the seats were cozy and reclined!  What's not to like?

I am a proud commuter! I have gained peace of mind, get exercise walking between stops, am saving money and there is one less car on the road to pollute the environment.


I need to head out and teach. I shall continue this later this evening....

Later this evening...

It's 7:17 p.m. I stopped back at the library to seek shelter from the rain. And to finish this blog post!

I have one more student this evening, so we shall see how far I get.

Here is today's hooping video:

It was pretty wet this morning, so I hooped in the confines of the back sidewalk. But U hooped!

I just noticed the time. I need to catch a bus to my final student for the evening. I am feeling good about my life. And about the future.

On that note, happy Thursday!

Talk to you tomorrow.



Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…