Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 165: Punching the Air or Telling the Devil to F Off

"I feel healthy! I feel happy! I feel terrific"!



I recalled the above mantra this morning as I lugged my sore body out of bed. I looked at my puffy eyes in the mirror and said my mantra, punching the air with with my right fist.  

I learned this from a hyper positive coach at life insurance camp as a young adult.  I sucked at selling life insurance. But camp was fun!  We would load up on coffee and donuts and stand up and scream our mantra every morning.  The studies were boring, but the after party of pizza and beer was always fun!  (Hence the need for coffee, donuts and mantras in the morning!)

The mantra worked! I smiled and went outside and hooped. It is a glorious day here in the neighborhood - 68 degrees, clear and sunny!



 My hip loosened up with my hooping. I stayed on the sidewalk in the backyard. I feared the uneven ground on the grassy hill might through my hip out of whack again.



Really, I feel about 80% better. I was thinking damaged joint, hip replacement, walker, medical bills. But just a bit of Tylenol, Tiger Balm, ice, stretching, hooping and walking and this grandma is good to go!

Today was day 129 of my daily hooping experiment. I am so glad that I didn't permanently damage my hip! I would hate to hang up my hoop!  Again, I am learning that behavior modification, as well as learning and perfecting any skill is best done in regular daily increments.

I can't wait for Baby Gracie and my next dance session!

After my hoop session, I had a nice piano practice. Then I hopped on the bus to lunch.  HoHo on SE Cesar Chavez and SE Powell is one of my favorite lunch joints. They have a daily special for $7.25. I had "Happy Family" with hot and sour soup. And I stayed within my daily eating out budget!

Yay, me!

My scripture of the day reflects my pride in myself.  I am still reading The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affect Your Mood, Behavior, and Decisions by Joyce Meyer.  I am in chapter 8: "Positive Self Talk".  This is the chapter I need to read and reread every day of my life. 

Because for most of my life my self-talk was negative, shaming and down right mean.  

My scripture of the day was mentioned in this chapter.  And it just leaped out at me!

Scripture of the Day

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good..." (Genesis 1:31)


A well known passage, from the first book of the Bible. But today it just went straight to my soul. God made everything, including me.  And if He says I am good, I am!

When I was a child, my mother told me Jesus sat on my right shoulder, telling me the right thing to do. But the devil sat on my left shoulder, tempting me with bad things.  

I was frightened. 

"What should I do, Mommy?" I asked.

"Punch the air with your left fist", was the wise answer of my mother.

So there I was. A little girl of maybe 3 or 4 years. Walking around constantly punching the air with my left fist! 

Now I am older and wiser. I just the devil to "F off". It feels more empowering. And looks less ridiculous. (I say it in my head). 

But mostly I just choose goodness, light and love.  

On that note, I need to head out to teach piano.

May your Tuesday be filled with goodness, light and love!
Love,

Zita

In my library office. Do you notice I have the same expression on my face as the Cookie Monster?
I may have to find a gluten free cookie before choir practice tonight!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i