Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 149: Ulterior Motives


8:00 a.m.

Sunday, my new favorite day!  I am at Starbucks at Cascades Station. I'm having a cup of coffee and some prayer time before I order a ride over the bridge to visit Baby Grace and her mom and dad.

I love Sundays! It is the only day I get up early without a fuss.

It must be the excitement of seeing my granddaughter.

I will continue this later. Time to order my Lyft ride to Vancouver!

6:00 p.m. I'm back!  Heading to the gym for a soak in the hot tub.

A long, but rewarding day was had by all!

I managed to get in a short hooping session at my daughter's house with my injured hoop. Today is day 113. I am thinking I need to increase my workout time. And add a few moves.


I went to church with my daughter, son-in-law and Baby Grace.  Instead of sitting in the nursery, Baby Grace and I hung out in the coffee area. She had just been fed, so she slept most of the time- on my lap and in her stroller. It was lovely. I even had time to read a bit from my Bible and Joyce Meyer book. And sip tea! I could hear the music from the praise band, but we were far enough away to not harm my granddaughter's tender eardrums.



I was quite enjoying the experience, when suddenly a man walked up to me, smiling.

"Hi Zita", he said.

I looked at him blankly for a moment, not fully comprehending who had just entered my space.

It was "L". My daughter's father. Gracie' s grandfather.

"Hi", I said, almost spilling my tea.

He had been driving by, he told me. He remembered that my daughter and her husband attended the church. He thought he'd stop in to see if I was there.

I thought it was a bit odd. Service was ending in about ten minutes. Why would he be looking for me?

But I was in a good space. In grandma mode. With a nice cup of hot tea. Kim Jong-Un could have sat next to me and I would have treated him warmly. Perhaps.

Anyway, we visited and caught up. No trace of hostility. It felt like two old friends talking. It felt nice.

I didn't even blink when suddenly he was mentioning that he was needing to make a life change. He had lost his housemate, and was looking into a communal living situation. He asked if I would ever consider having him as a roommate, or would that be too weird?

We both chuckled.

I told him I had a nice room I rented adjacent to the little church where I worked part-time. But I was leaving that job at the end of October to babysit our granddaughter. But, the rent was reasonable and my roommate had told me I could continue living there.

I told him that I might be interested in the future. He had said a "communal" living situation. I stressed that I am very private. I mostly read, practice my piano or workout. I am not much for hanging out or watching much tv. He told me he was not either. And I emphasized that I can't afford much rent, so we would have to have at least one other roommate.

He agreed.

My daughter walked up just then, showing mild surprise to see us talking.

We all visited a bit and then hugged him goodbye.

Later,as my daughter and I sat talking, before lunch, I mentioned how her father has changed. She raised one eyebrow.

I told her about our conversation. She shook her head.

"You and my dad should never consider being roommates", she said sternly.

It was so odd. I've known this man for 28 years. We had an extremely dysfunctional relationship. But sitting and talking like friends at the church for 30 minutes nearly erased all the bad memories.

"We're grandparents now", I told my daughter.

She kept shaking her head.

"But he was so nice"! I protested.

"Perhaps he has an ulterior motive", she suggested.

Perhaps.

I do not know if L and I will ever be roommates. But it would be nice if we were no longer enemies.

Time will tell.

Speaking of time, the gym is calling!


Talk to you tomorrow. Happy Sunday!

Love,

Zita






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i