Skip to main content

Day 54: Happy 4th! Thank you Moravian Pacifists!

Independence Day has a new meaning to me this year.

This year I am experiencing increasing freedom from my unhealthy eating patterns, and freedom of increased mobility!

This morning I contemplated running on the trail. But the sun was already blazing when I woke up.  The gym is closed. So I worked out in our living room.  20 minutes on the stationary bike and then some crunches and plank.  It was nice working out at home. I might do this more often.  I set my Kindle up against the screen of the bike and watched a video on ballet exercises. I rented the "Eric Zimmer Dance Workout". I tried a few moves. I really like it. But my legs are still so sore from my leg workout, two days ago, that I kept it slow and easy. Did some stretching.

Then my daughter and I made a nice American 4th of July dinner for when the men come home.

I made barbecue beer chicken in the crockpot. I referred to the recipe from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body. (http://www.fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com/2012/05/bbq-beer-chicken-crockpot/)

I added a chopped jalepeno. And we didn't shred the chicken and serve it on a bun. Just ate it! With some homemade, to die for potato salad and corn on the cob.

It was nice just being home cooking with my daughter. After we got dinner going, we each had a Coors Light and chatted a bit.  Then she played the piano for me.

We got some fireworks for tonight. My daughter and her husband went to his mom and stepdad's boat.  My son wants to go hang out with friends. So I am on dog duty. I am fine with that.

Honey the English Pointer. Honey hates fireworks.


I am not big on crowds. And Honey Dog isn't fond of fireworks. So we will console each other.

I might even set off  a ground bloom flower!

But I am looking forward to sitting on the deck when the sun starts going down. Having a beer. Reading.

I will probably play some piano.

I was reading about the history of the 4th of July and I stumbled upon some interesting musical facts.

I found an article called  "The First Americans to Observe the 4th were Moravian Pacifists" from the Daily Beast  (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/04/the-first-americans-to-observe-the-4th-were-moravian-pacifists.html)

I am not familiar with the Moravians.  So I read: "The Moravians, a Protestant group in what is now the Czech Republic, had sent missionaries to establish the settlement of Bethlehem, Pa., in 1741.".

This is interesting to me, because my mother's family is from Czechoslovakia.

I also read about the composer Johann Friedrich Peter who wrote Psalm of Joy. It was performed at the celebration:

"The 1783 Independence Day celebration, as documented in the Salem Diary, started with trombone music, of which Moravians were fond. At 2 p.m., there was a Love Feast, a Moravian tradition that is more a celebration of community than a sacrament. People gathered in the church for a service that included a simple meal (usually coffee heavy with cream and sugar, plus a sweet bun).

As Moravians have long made music central to their worship, the service also included the singing of a “Psalm of Joy.” That gives the Moravians at Salem some claim to having come up with the first patriotic song celebrating the nation’s freedom. (This was years before Francis Scott Key wrote “The Star Spangled Banner.”)"

I have been perusing the internet this afternoon, trying in vain to find a recording for Psalm of Joy.  I found on Moravian music site that has a recording, but it is on cassette tape. Who has cassette players anymore, I ask?

But I think I like these Moravians. A Love Feast with sweet creamy coffee and a sweet bun! :)  They were said to be a pacifist group:

"They also had a strong pacifist tradition, dating to their founding amid the religious struggles of the 15th century as a “peace church.” Members were forbidden to serve in the military. They lived by the teachings in Christ’s Sermon on the Mount."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist