Skip to main content

Day 60: Zita Jefferson, HSP

Two Months!

Two whole months!

I am starting to settle into this lifestyle. But it is not easy. There have been many moments where I could feel the pull of the old me.

I have always been an overly sensitive person. Several years ago, I discovered a book entitled "The Highly Sensitive Person".  It should  have had my picture on it. There is even a website devoted to us HSP's.  Here are some of the questions to as yourself: (From http://hsperson.com/)

"Is this you?

  • Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?
  • Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?
  • Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?
  • Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?
  • Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?
  • Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?
  • Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
  • When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?"
Well, of course I answered YES!! (with double exclamation points!!) to all of these questions.  That's me.  Zita Jefferson, HSP

You can read more at: http://hsperson.com/

So, I have to guard myself when I am feeling vulnerable. A word of criticism, even well intentioned, can cause my heart to thud and my stomach to churn.

A frown, a stare, a rude comment, Lord help me!

On top of that I am an introvert by nature.  Mind you, I do like people. Most of them I love!  But interacting with others, no matter how pleasant, after awhile has a draining effect. And i find myself seeking a place to retreat and recharge my battery.  Reading books, playing the piano, going for walks, listening to music, and eating have all soothed my soul.

But somewhere along my path, food has become my primary source of comfort.

And yesterday I was feeling vulnerable. What I desired after my day of teaching and rehearsal, was a cozy chair, a book and something to eat.  (Another very peculiar habit of mine is reading cookbooks while I eat - for me the ultimate in comfort! Weird, eh?)

But I have faced each temptation head on and reminded myself of my new lifestyle.  Exercise every day, preferable in the morning right after my grapefruit.

Then eat healthy, sensible meals including scads of water until 6:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. at the absolute latest.  Then only water until breakfast the next day.

So to celebrate my 2 month mark, I am going for a nice walk on the trail.  I don't think I will run today.  I feel then need to walk and breathe.

I have a pot of "He Man" chili brewing in the crockpot. I adapted the recipe from The All-American Cowboy Cookbook that I downloaded onto my Kindle. (http://www.amazon.com/The-All-American-Cowboy-Cookbook-Greatest/dp/1558533656)

I adapted it of course.  I added chicken-chipotle sausage,  a bit of cocoa powder and some peppers from our garden.  The house smells divine!

After my walk, I will have a bowl of chili and a salmon patty. Then I am off to teach piano class and then meet a friend downtown to play musical duets and trios with her husband and her. She plays the recorder and her husband plays the violin. Both are retired and live in a lovely condo on the waterfront. They play beautiful and I am hoping this musical get together will comfort my soul more than a plate full of food and a cookbook at some restaurant!

We can only hope.

Perhaps I can come out of my introvert zone a bit.  Replace my food friends with real live people friends! It's a start!

Happy Friday!

Comments

  1. Congrats, Zita, on reaching two months with your program...keep it going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i