Skip to main content

Day 80: I survived!

It was 102 degrees today in Portland, Oregon.

Lord, how I miss 70 and drizzling!

But I am a survivor. I got up and watered the plants, opened all the windows, did some yoga stretches and headed out to the trail before it got too hot.  At 9:00 a.m., it was already too hot.  Bit I did a quick mile.  I had leftovers from my wonderful dinner last night. My son-in-law, son and daughter were still raving about my honey/sesame/sriracha chicken wings and potato salad. I need to write down my recipe before I forget what I did. I am famous were concocting a wonderful meal and then when I try to replicate it, falling short!

The wings, I tossed with some flour seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and then baked for 15 minutes at 350. Then I flipped them over and baked another 15 minutes.  I mixed about 1/4 cup honey, 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce, a splash of worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons ketchup, and 1 teaspoon sugar. I basted the chicken with the sauce and sprinkled some sesame seeds on top. Then I baked it for about 10 minutes, flipped, basted and sprinkled and baked for another 10 minutes. 

The potato salad was a classic recipe. But I used baby red potatoes and left the skin on.  I boiled about 12 of them. Then I soaked them in cold water and dried them off and diced them. I then diced up one dill pickle, three stalks celery, 2 green onion, one small green pepper from our garden and about 1 tablespoon parsley.  I added one can black olives, diced. I think what we really liked about this salad was the small, uniform diced pieces. I mixed together about 1/2 cup mayo, 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1 diced hard boiled egg and 3 to 4 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt and pepper and mixed it all up.

Ok, now it's in writing. Not exact measurements. I did taste and alter the wing sauce quite a bit. But it's here for next time! :) 

I broke my no food after 7:00 p.m. rule today. I did so intentionally.

It was the last evening of the summer term choir that I accompany. And we decided to have a little party.  I was a little nervous about being confronted by a table full of goodies. At 9:00, no less!

There were deviled eggs, spanakopita, watermelon, cantaloupe, crackers, cheese, cherry tomatoes, Greek olives, and dates. Thankfully no one brought cookies or cake. Perhaps it was the heat and the late hour.

I had a healthy plate and then as I eyed all the food, I had a sudden urge eat everything in sight!  But I got hold of myself. And had a few more pieces of watermelon. I told myself that was plenty. I the packed up my leftovers to bring home to the kids.

And I am ok with this. I don't feel like this is going to regress me back to binge eating.

I finished at 9:15. So I will just fast until noon tomorrow.

I am drinking a large glass of wonderful ice water as I type this.

And in retrospect, I had a healthy day of eating. And I exercised.

Now for some yoga before bed.

I have survived 80 days of daily exercise and healthier eating.  I am proud of myself.  I must continue to remind myself that this is my new lifestyle.

Tomorrow I am going to go to the gym. It is supposed to cool off to a mere 100 degrees, but that is still too hot for the trail.  And I notice that my arms are starting to show some definition. I need to make sure I make it to the gym at least two days, preferably three days a week. Tomorrow I will work my back and biceps.

Happy Thursday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 83: Prednisone, Grumpy Doc and the Pentateuch!

I barely hacked at all last night.
Probably due to the Prednisone my doctor prescribed me. I was hoping I'd get a new doctor this time around at the clinic that accepts my Oregon Health Plan coverage. But there he was. Grumpy Doc.
But my appointment was pleasant. I greeted him and asked him how he was. He lightened up and even smiled during our visit. I wonder if he has a rough life.  It turns out we have the same "virus". Yes virus. I do not have a bacterial infection. My stats show me as a very healthy woman!  
BP: 100/70, Pulse 79, temp 96.7, Weight 182 lbs. (My weight loss has stalled. After I did the 10-Day Grain Detox, I weakened and ate a few meals with much rice.  I have SOOO missed rice. But since then, I've gained two pounds, so today I'm going back to no grains.  For the time being.  I think I will allow a bit of rice now and then, but I still am looking at 40 more pounds that I'd like to drop. So must be strong!)
Anyway...
I told Grumpy Doc I hav…

Year Two, Day 305: The Secret is Out!

I will never get used to losing an hour of sleep. But got of bed and headed to church did I.

And ironically, I took this photo. At the crossroads!  I was so tired, I did not realize there was a crosswalk in the background until just now.




After church today, I stopped for lunch.  Opened up Facebook. And lo and behold my daughter and son-in-law have announced their pregnancy!

I admit, I have known for a few weeks.

And I have been bursting with the news! She made me promise not to post on Facebook or blog about my first grandbaby until she and her husband felt ready to announce it to the world.

I am so happy!

Nothing like a new life to fill you with hope!

It was funny how she broke the news to me.

About 2 weeks ago, I get a text message.  She had sent me an ultrasound picture with the following message: "Honey Dog would like you to know that she is going to be a big sister."

I immediately texted her back:

"Honey Dog is pregnant?"

Then I stopped in my tracks. Just stood …