Skip to main content

Day 65: Drinking Shrub and Working on My Splits!

Today was a Salem day.

It was also the first day of my diet journal.  I've put it off long enough! I think to really be successful in my eating and exercise journey, I need to be truthful with myself about what I eat!

So here it is!

8:30 a.m. 1/2 grapefruit

9:30 a.m. 1 corn tortilla filled with 3 strips bacon, 1/4 sliced avocado, a few fresh spinach leaves, 3 pickled jalepeno slices and 1 teaspon vegannaise. 
I ate this at the Max station, waiting for the train down to Union Station.  This was a spontaneous creation - needed something quick as I flew out the door. It was very tasty!!

10:45 a.m.  1 bottle Columbia Gorge Carrot Beet Celery Juice.  130 calories.  I love this stuff. It has a very earthy flavor. Not too sweet and very low in calories.


http://www.cogojuice.com/products/category/veggie_blends/carrot_beet_celery



11:00 a.m. 1 cup homemade rice noodle salad (rice noodles, grated carrots, diced green onion, sliced mushroom with a dressing of rice vinegar, soy sauce, peanut butter and a tad bit of brown sugar)
1 homemade chicken chimichanga

1:30 p.m. 1 cup of fresh, cut up fruit topped with fresh squeezed lime and "Tajin" chili powder.  1 glass of homemade berry "shrub" which is a drink made of champagne vinegar, and berries. My friend Susan from my bible study group maes these. She puts them over ice. Very refreshing and supposedly oodles of health benefits. I found this article on imbibemagazine.com.  I may have to try and make my own!  http://imbibemagazine.com/Homemade-Drinking-Vinegars/

5:30 p.m. Ok, this is not my best dinner. I was pressed for time to get to the Amtrak station and get on a bus to Portland, AND get my dinner in before 6:00. So I resorted to convenience store food. 1 pepporoni stick.  1 small bag popcorn (70 calories). 1 jalepeno corndog. 3 jalapeno poppers and about 20 chocolate covered raisins.  Plus a bottle of water.


I'm going to download a calorie counter on my Kindle.  I feel ok about my eating today, except for dinner.  But I made my 6:00 p.m. cut off time.

On the way home I was pondering what I could make tomorrow. I try to make a healthy salad or meal that will keep a few days in the fridge.  I decided to do a raw broccoli/cauliflower salad with raw sunflower seeds, raisins, and red onions. I'll make a dressing out of Vegannaise (I seriouly love this stuff. I became hooked on it when I went vegan for a few years, and I still eat it!), vinegar, a tad bit of sugar and salt and pepper. This salad keeps well and offers some good fiber.

I had cup of chammomile/lavender tea tonight when I got home. I haven't been drinking much tea since it has been so hot. But this hit the spot tonight.

My daughter is interested in pursuing ballet and modern dance classes, but she is concerned about her lack of flexibility. So she and I did about 30 minutes of ballet stretch videos we found on youtube, particularly aimed at learning to do the splits. I used to be quite flexible, but I am so stiff and sore these days. That is one of the reasons I decided to get serious about exercising.

So I think I will add 30 minutes of stretching each evening. I feel very relaxed and peaceful. I am hoping it will enhance my sleep and improve my morning stiffness. 

My son and my son-in-law play basketball every Wednesday night on a city league. It just occurred to me how blessed I am. My healthy eating is being supported by the kids and we are all involved in an exercise that we enjoy!

So it is quite late and I do need to get some healthy sleep.

Happy Wednesday! :)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i