Skip to main content

Day 73: Raising the Dead

I woke up feeling achy again, and did my old hitting of the snooze alarm this morning. But then I heard a text message come in. At exactly 9:00 a.m. when I absolutely needed to get up or start my day running late. 

It was from "Fish Food 4 Thought". It's a daily inspirational text I signed up for through 104.1 The Fish radio station. This is what it said:
"If God can somehow raise the dead, He can surely help you raise your head".

I actually laughed out loud!  I am committed to drawing closer to God.  And I have trouble getting out of bed on time in the morning. Why not bring it to Him in prayer?  Duh! lol

So now I am on track. I had my baked oatmeal for breakfast. It was really good. Not sweet at all. I put a little bit of coconut spread on top and microwaved it. Next is my run.

I am meeting some new students this afternoon. A whole family of kids that want to learn piano. Should be fun!

Then it is off to a rehearsal with my friend Judy. She plays recorder. And she is always introducing me to pieces of music I have never heard, and composers I have never heard of! I love it! We are working on a piece by Han Ulrich Staeps.  Hauntingly beautiful. And tortuous! But I do love a challenge!

After reherasal with Judy, I teach a few classes. Then I have dinner out before choir practice.

Today is looking like a very good day!

Last night before I went to bed, I was listening to All Classical 89.9 radio.  It occurred to me that I should raise the bar with my musical knowledge. I tend to keep music in the background, except when I am studying for a performance.

So I am going through a list of 300 top rated classical pieces of all times. I found it on ClassicFM, a British radio station.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, and it was music voted on by their listeners, but many of the pieces I am not familiar with. So I am going to listen to a few each day.  Unfortunately, I cannot stream this station here in the US, so I either go to youtube, or download if I really like it.  Here is the site:

Happy Thursday!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…

Year Four, Day 41: The ER

This morning about 4 a.m. I woke up with severe stabbing pains in my jaw.  My whole head, face and neck felt like someone had it in a vice. And was turning the lever.

I had already taken a dose of Thera-Flu before bed. Since Wednesday morning is my time with Gracie, I wanted to make sure I was well rested.  I didn't want to be groggy on Gracie duty.
But with the pain I was experiencing, I was questioning how effective I would be at all. 
I was wide awake, holding my jaw as everything throbbed.  I made a decision to take another dose of Thera-Flu.  The package said I could take one dose every 4 hours.  
So I boiled some water and sat hunched over the kitchen table.  I poured the hot water over the powder. As I waited for it to cool, I put my face close to the cup. The hot steam gave my poor face a bit of relief. 
I was wondering if I had a sinus infection. My throat was sore and raw.  I was congested. Had a bit of a cough. The jaw pain was troubling. Last week when my allergies we…

Year Three, Day 308, 309 and 310: I'm Back...

...from the brink of death.

Most dramatic am I.  But I feel like I went to hell and back this weekend.

One mistake was to take over the counter medication (Tylenol, Thera-Flu and Ibuprofen) and drink massive caffeine in order to make it through teaching classes on Friday.

I felt really good until early evening. Then it felt like my head was going to explode. My cough returned with a vengeance, dragging along massive sneezing and nose dripping.

Then like a big dummy I downed another mug of Thera-Flu before bed. I didn't even consider cancelling Saturday breakfast with my mom. And definitely could not afford to cancel anymore piano lessons.

Oy, I felt miserable Saturday morning. But I managed to get up and stagger down the road to the bus stop just in time. I was halfway to our regular restaurant before I remembered it was St. Patrick's Day. I looked down at my outfit. Not a speck of my favorite color green. So, before I joined my mom, I stopped at Rite Aid in search of a little…