Skip to main content

Day 67: Down one pound!!

I woke up this morning feeling quite sore and stiff.  Mostly in my hamstrings. I think it was the stretching session with my daughter Monday night. But this kind of pain is good. It tells me progress is being made. So before my run, I am doing more stretching (and groaning!).  I usually stretch afterwards or in the evening, and throughout the day. And admittedly, I stretch my neck too much - the first few pops are a great relief, but as the day progresses, it gets really sore.  And at a certain point, it stops popping and then I get headaches.  So we are putting an end to the neck popping today!

I am hoping by dong some good stretches in the morning as well as evening, that I will have better runs.

I also hopped on the scale this morning, and I am down one more pound!


This puts me within 1 pound of my goal of 195 on 08/08/2015! I can do this. :)

I am giving a concert 08/23.  I hope to be closer to 190 (and further from 200) by then. One step at a time.

My next improvement on my eating, besides stopping all food at 6:00 p.m., 7:00 at the latest, extra water, lots of whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and low sodium is to make small substitutions.

For instance, last night I had a dinner break at 5:45 after teaching classes and before rehearsal. I didn't have much money, and had eaten my lunch I had packed. So I decided to go to Wendy's.  I looked on their site and compared caloric content on their dollar menu. I had planned on a cheeseburger and a baked potato, but I went with a small chicken sandwich. And I found out they sell a bag of apple slices for $.99!  I also ordered a small chocolate frosty. I probably could have done without that, but it was hot and a nice treat. :) With this meal,was low in carbs and sodium.  I don't eat much sugar, so I feel like I need a treat now and then.  Plus I woke up one pound lighter!

Well, I am off to the trail. Today I teach group piano and then am practicing on a Steinway downtown at the complex where I have retired musical friends.  It's on the waterfront. And they don't mind me coming in and tinkling the ivories for several hours.

Happy Friday! :)

Update: I did 450 consecutive steps on the trail today! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…