Skip to main content

Day 110: Bring on the New Testament! :)

My handsome son, Andrew joined me on a trail walk this morning!      






Today is a very good day!  I woke up with less pain and with a cheerful outlook. My daughter and son-in-law were packing up for a hunting trip.  A lot of excitement in the air.  My son is staying home because he has to work and go to boxing class.

Honey, my daughter and son-in-law's dog stayed home too. She will be going on the next trip. She is, in fact a English Pointer! But she needs more training and this is going to be a long trip.

My son actually asked me if I was walking the trail this morning. I told him yes, of course. He asked if he could come along and bring Honey!

I was so happy to share my trail with my son.  We did a nice 1.5 mile loop.  It was getting hot and Honey was panting, so we came back. We'll be having a healthy lunch at Laughing Planet before I go to rehearsal.

He took a picture of Honey and I.  I still am carrying a lot of fat around my middle, but it is slowly melting. And I am not giving up. Never give up!


 This morning before our walk, I sat down to a breakfast of  1/2 grapefruit, a bit of gluten free granola with almond milk and tea. I opened up my bible and smiled.  This may be why I woke up on the right side of the bed today. As of yesterday, I have finished the Old Testament! Today I started the New Testament.  I read several chapters of Mark. And it took on a whole new meaning with the references of the prophecies of Jesus from the Old Testament. 

I never tire of reading about Jesus.  Today I read about the baptism of Jesus by John and it took on a whole new meaning for me:

"Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”  Matthew 3:13-17


I plan on reading through the New Testament every morning. When I am finished I will go back and start with the Old Testament again!

Just like my exercise, healthy eating, piano practice, and prayer, bible study is now a permanent part of my life.  There will be good days and bad. But I am in it for the duration of the journey!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist