Skip to main content

Day 113: Say Hello to My Little Friend!


My New Little Friend:  The Makala Pineapple-Style Soprano Ukulele

 Today I had a real live day off!

I really should do this more often.  I started the day by downloading some new books to my Kindle. I enjoyed last night's book so much, I purchased another by the same other. It's called What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I am already hooked!


My newest escape!
 

I also went to church and the grocery store.  I'm feeling really solid about my eating.  I bought some chicken and made a recipe from my Wheat Belly cookbook: "Pecan-crusted chicken".  I also made majadarrah in the crockpot. Majadarrah is a Lebanese dish I love. I discovered Lebanese food when I was 21 years-old, working for the Forest Service Information office downtown Portland. Abou Karim was just up the street and became my favorite lunch spot!

I spent two years as a vegetarian, so I became quite efficient at making majadarrah. But I must say, today was about the best!  I slow cooked lentils with cumin, a touch of cinnamon and turmeric.  When they were soft, I added cooked brown rice. Then I sauteed an onion with some minced garlic in olive oil until the onions were a rich brown color. I added this to the slow cooker with pepper and salt. Divine!

I also made a cucumber salad, with an olive oil/lemon/garlic/minced green onion vinegraitte.

My son and I ate together.  He had seconds. While we ate dinner, I froze two containers of yogurt. Mango for him and coffee for me. That was our dessert.

My son drove me up to Portland Music after dinner.  I needed to buy some sheet music for my students. For years, I would frequent the Portland Music store on SE Powell and 12th.  But then they closed down and merged with the store on MLK. I ended up doing most of my shopping online after that. I don't get down to MLK often. I ride the bus and there is really nothing in that neighborhood that warrant a trip.

I used to love shopping for music in music stores.  When I was young, I'd go with my dad downtown to Wiscarson's Music.  It was near the Central Library.  I was a shy little kid. So wandering around, peeking at piano scores was a nice way to pass an afternoon. Almost as good as the library. But I never remember it being much of a bonding activity with my dad. He would look at music. I would look at music. I don't remember us talking.

Wiscarson's went out of business years ago.  When I started teaching piano, I spent many hours lurking around Day Music.  I spent many a dollar there too! I was really sad when they closed.  It was the end of an era!  The internet really ate up little family music stores.

I feel silly that I didn't realize there was a Portland Music on SE Division near 122nd. I just stumbled upon it a few weeks ago when I walked past on  my way to my church interview.  I figured it was just musical intruments - guitars, electric keyboards and such. It was just a small, older looking store front. But lo and behold, a little sign in the window boldly proclaimed "Sheet Music"!

I went in to see what they had. I was pleasantly surprised to find they had quite a few of the books I preferred for my students. But better still, they had ukuleles!

I have been considering taking up the ukulele after a few of my students have told me what an easy instrument it is to learn. I played a bit of classical guitar back in college, but struggled because my small hands could barely fit around the neck. Not so with the ukulele! It only has 4 strings and a very narrow neck!

One unique looking uke caught my eye. Dark wood and a different shape than the others. The clerk said it was a "pineapple style ukulele" popular in Hawaii. $50 and they tossed in a free instruction book. Fun!


 You know, it occurred to me just now that I am on my way to kicking my food addiction.  And now that I am not constantly thinking about food, (and eating food, and regretting what I ate), I have time for other, more healthy life pursuits.
 
Like learning to play the pineapple ukulele! (LOL! Of course, it would have a FOOD name!)

Tomorrow is weight, measurements, and BP day.  AND I plan on going to the gym.  I need to get a good work out in.  There I put it in writing. It shall be done!

AND I just found out my childhood friend, Sandra is in town and we are going to lunch tomorrow! YAY!! :)  My daughter is out hunting with her husband, so I missed Bloody Mary Sunday today. Perhaps I will have to make it Bloody Mary Monday tomorrow?

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist