Skip to main content

Addendum to Day 111: GO Hood to Coasters! AND....Super BP!!


http://www.kptv.com/story/29899088/be-aware-of-runners-walkers-on-area-highways-during-hood-to-coast-relay

I just got back from the trail.  Major attitude adjustment! I took Honey, my daughter's dog. She is still learning to walk politely on a leash, so it was a bit of a workout. Especially since today was the Hood-to-Coast run and we encountered hundred's of people on the Springwater Trail!

But there was such positive energy in the air. Two ladies were stationed at the corner of SE Foster and about SE 106th, making sure runners crossed the road safely. They cooed and awed and petted Honey which made her very happy.

When we got back, I headed into the garage to forage around through my music. I am planning my next concert. Also wanted to find some music for students. And lo and behold, I found my old blood pressure machine.  So I drank a big glass of water and sat down and put on the cuff. I took three measurements to be accurate.  They were all similar:  98/78 with a pulse of 67. My weight this morning was 193 pounds.

Then in the same box as the machine, I found a blood pressure screening record.  It was taken by a community health nurse at a church where I played the piano a few years back. The date was 04/22/12.  My blood pressure that day was 146/86.  She circled Hypertension Stage 1 and suggested I see my healthcare provider!

Embarrassingly enough, I don't think I ever did follow up.

But three years later, what a difference! I checked my weightcommander site for that date.  On 08/27/12, almost exactly 3 years ago I weighed 225 pounds.

Ok. So my grumpiness has subsided. Because I do see immense progress!!


I have lost 32 pounds in 3 years.  And my blood pressure has dropped from 146/86 to 09/78.

All without meds.  Just good old fashioned exercise and moderate eating. Plus removing gluten which has produced the most substantial BP drop.

So my plan is to continue what I am doing. In order to go to the next level of health and happiness, I plan on adjusting my sleep schedule.  I will try to lie down to sleep every night at 11 p.m. and rise at 7 a.m.

I found an article about how to get up earlier.  http://zenhabits.net/early/
They list three steps for getting out of bed earlier.  I especially like number 2: "Jump out of bed. Yes, jump out of bed. With enthusiasm. Jump up and spread your arms wide as if to say, “Yes! I am alive! Ready to tackle the day with open arms and the gusto of a driven maniac.” Seriously, it works."

I will let you know how this works for me. I can relate to the maniac, but not so sure about the jumping out of bed with enthusiasm! lol

I am going to attempt to remove cheese, at least for the next week to see if there is a difference.  I honestly don't know if I could live my life without cheese!  I may have to have piece of chocolate to comfort myself. But wait. Studies show that chocolate is actually good for you!

Anyway, just had to blog about my success. I am officially cheered up!

GO HOOD TO COASTERS!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.


I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.




Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …