Skip to main content

Day 85: Serendipity!

Today was a very good day. And most of it was quite spontaneous!  And serendipitous! Yay, I used a form of the word serendipity in a sentence. I love that word.  According to Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/serendipity) the definition is:  "Luck that takes the form of finding valuable or pleasant things that are not looked for."

I had a whole day off today. Students on vacation and no rehearsal tonight. I had a plan in place to run, practice piano and then work on the program for upcoming recital.

But there I was. In Salem. I rode down with my daughter. She had a hair appointment with her super-stylist. Apparently no one does hair like her Salem stylist!

But it worked out so well. I needed to cancel my gym membership at PhysiQ, since I will not be in Salem much anymore. Plus, truthfully, I worry about my daughter driving all the way to Salem and back alone. I know, I know. She is 25. A grown woman. But you know how it is. I don't think I would have gotten much done at home. I don't really know how I have come this far as a mother. My "children" are 23 and 25 and I still can't breathe easily until I know they are home safe!

So while she had her hair done, I went to the gym for one last workout.  I love the "back room" at PhysiQ!.  It is a dark room with a big screen upon which a movie is showing. Today it was "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest".  In front of the the big screen are several treadmills, stationary bikes, and elypticle machines. I hopped on a treadmill and did a good 20 minutes. Watching the movie in the dark, makes one almost forget that one is exercising!

Then I did some weights. I worked back and biceps today.  Then I signed my cancellation papers and headed to the bus. Our plan was to meet at Cafe Yumm, have lunch and head back to Portland.

As I waited for the bus, I took out my Kindle. I had downloaded a book that caught my eye last night.  It is called The Prayer Dare: Take the Challenge that Will Transform Your Relationship with God by Ron Kincaid.  Ron Kincaid is the pastor of Sunset Presbyterian Church here in Portland.

As I started to read the introduction. I stopped. I paused and I said, "Thank you God!"  On the drive down to Salem, my daughter and I were discussing our goals and challenges. I told her I was pleased with my perserverance in my exercise and increased discipline with eating, but very unhappy with my oversleeping.

In the first chapter, the author quotes Martin Luther:I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.” So right then and there, I decided that I am going to rise earlier and spend one hour praying and reading my Bible. 

I also find my oversleeping has cut into my piano practice time.  This life change may be more difficult than daily exercise and controlled eating! I have never been a morning person. But I looked closely at the title of today's blog. Mainly the day number. 85!!!  You see, days will go by whether I make plans, or continue in my haphazard ways.

So tonight I have made a new plan:

(Oh, on another note - I stopped at the UPS Store in Salem next door to Cafe Yumm hoping to find a little notebook to use a prayer journal. The cashier brought out a display of wonderful little notebooks, in metal casings with a little pen attached to hold it closed! I bought a purple one with a picture of a little yellow bird on the front. I bought my daughter a camo design.)

 

My cute little prayer journal! :)

The New Plan

6:00 a.m. Rise. Water plants. Let dog out. Drink a tall glass of water.

6:15 a.m. Pray.  Talk to God about my day. Pray for others. Read my bible.

 7:15 a.m. Yoga

7:45 a.m. Shower

8:00 a.m. Eat 1/2 grapefruit

8:30 a.m. Walk/jog/run the trial or go to the gym

10:00 a.m. Practice Piano

11:30 a.m. Lunch

12:00 p.m. Pack dinner

12:30 Bus to Library, Students or Rehersal

1:30 to 6:00 Work

6:00 Dinner

7:00 Teach or Rehearse or practice

9:30 Home

11:00 Bed

 

There. I have put it in writing. On my blog. I am now bound!  Wish me luck! :) 


Happy Tuesday! :)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist