Skip to main content

Day 106: Relax and Enjoy the Music


Just got home from my concert.  It went well!  It was a small, but very appreciative crowd.  My students who came were engaged and seemed to have fun.  I think I will stay with this format.  I love seeing young people enjoy classical music!

It was more than just a concert for me. It was a get together of people who mean a lot to me. And what is so nice about these events is now these people are connected to other friends, family and students in my life.

My mother put together strawberry shortcake and lemonade. We even had gluten free poundcake for the gluten sensitive. I tried one and it was quite good.

I did break my no eating after 7:00 p.m. rule tonight. I decided that it is ok on "special occasions".  Especially since my daughter, who works part time as a bartender promised me one of her famous bloody mary's when we got home.

My daughter and son were both there.  It was so nice to see friends and students and be able to introduce them to my adult children. My daughter had some really nice positive feedback for me. And my heart was warmed when my son told me he wished the concert had been longer. He said he did not like classical music when he was young, but now he finds it really "relaxes his brain". He told me that a big improvement for my concerts would be to install recliner chairs for the audience, so they could recline, close their eyes and let the music relax their whole body!

On top of that, one of my little 9 year-old male students came up to me after the concert and said, "Teacher Zita, my favorite piece was the Janecek!"  

I hope to do one or two of these each year. I liked my daughter's suggestion of speaking a bit more on each composition and talking about the composers while perhaps shortening the playing a bit.  I guess she found 15 minute Mozart sonata a bit long. (My son, however said he wished I had played a longer Mozart! lol This from a young man who listened to mostly rap and hip hop for the last 13 years.  Score!)

I was thrilled to see my high school friend Cindy and her son Daylin, who know towers over me. He is 16 and sings in a choir.  They took pictures which I hope to post.  Cindy is my inspiration for going gluten free. 

Also my friends Susan from Salem came up. She is the lady that I used to do bible study with.  She is also my inspiration for walking. She and a group of women have been hiking all over Salem this summer and posting wonderful pictures.  Susan sat with Rachel, who lives right around the corner from me and is who I am currently studying the bible with. 

My adult student Rich and his wife also drove up from Salem. They just returned from a European trip. I have been salivating over the pictures.  Especially the ones from Abbey at Mont St. Michel. I found this picture from the "Discover France" blog (http://blog.holidayfrancedirect.co.uk/2012/06/all-in-a-bays-walk-guided-trails-around-mont-st-michel/)



One of my life long dreams is to travel. I would love to tour the monasteries and cathedrals of Europe. Sigh.

Now that this concert is over with, I am looking forward to some down time. Specifically nice long walks on the trail.  I hope the forest fire smoke has diminished enough. Yesterday there was so much smoke in the air, my throat and lungs felt like they were on fire.

I have a feeling that I will have a bit of a post concert depression. My daughter told me that I must have a very poor memory. Because the last concert I did I worried that noone would come.  Got really nervous right before the concert. But then as I played and talked and interacted with the audience, I relaxed and afterwards I said the exact same thing I said tonight! Something to the effect of:  It was a small crowd, but they all seem to enjoy the concert, especially the kids! I think I will continue doing these."  LOL

So, next time I need to just tell myself that the last concerts were successful just the way they were.  No need to stress.  Just enjoy the music!

Happy Sunday! :) 


Comments

  1. Really enjoyed the concert, Zita! It inspired me to get back to some serious practice - almost two hours today. It's been a challenge to get back into the routine after the long vacation break. I have lots of practicing to do before our Sept. 9 lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rich! It was great to see you guys! So happy you are inspired - my work on this earth is done! :) See you soon! Zita

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist