Skip to main content

Day 152: Zudles. Dude!



I finally made zudles! And successfully!  Zuchini shaved into noodles. I didn't get all fancy and buy a spiralizer or anything. I just used a good old fashioned potato peeler.

This morning I woke up late. Arrggh. Still working on my mornings. Plus I had a rehearsal for a 1st grade "Honeybee" play and a 2nd and 3rd grade "Portland Musical" at one of the local grade schools.

So I did not get to do my normal routine. I did some good fast walking. But I am feeling a little flabby. I really need to get into the gym and do some strength training. 

I woke up at 6 a.m. With a big smile on my face because I knew I could get away with another hour or two of sleep. Those are my favorite times!  I lay in bed and surfed the internet a bit. Then I set my clock. But obviously I was really into my sleep, because I hit the snooze repetiviely until 9:30 a.m.!

Then I decided today was the day to make a zudle salad. I shaved two zucchini and two yellow summer squash into ribbons. And I diced up half of a red onion, sliced a few baby carrots, some parsley and a few olives. Then I made a dressing of soy sauce, rice vinegar, peanut butter and hot sauce. 

I tossed it in a tupperware container and threw it in my freezer pack lunch bag.  I also threw in a couple of rice cakes, a few slices of pepper jack cheese, an orange, a container of applesauce and some sunflower seeds. And out the door I flew!

Oh man, I really enjoy playing music for school programs.  I originally accompanied my daughter's 3rd grade class when she went to Creston Elementary school back in the late 90's.  Several of my piano students go to the school where I played today.  I just feel so elevated to be amongst shiny, happy enthusiastic faces.  Put a spring to my step.

After rehearsal, I had a bit of a bus wait, so I thought I'd try the zudle salad. I was kind of hesitant because I thought it might be slimy. And I had memories of real pasta from my wheat eating past.

But, DUDE!  It was really yummy! The dressing soaked into the raw zucchini and softened it a bit. The flavor was out of this world. I actually drank up the remainder of the dressing.

So, food wise and music wise, today is a stellar day.

I am very stiff and sore and kind of jiggling like a bowful of jello, though. :(  I am going to get some yoga in tonight and hopefully make it to the gym tomorrow. Or at least the trail!

But a foot massage is also calling my name.... So little time!

Happy Thursday! :) 

Peace out,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist