Skip to main content

Day 155: The Emergency Rice Cake

Today is a good day. A very good day!

I started out with a nice brisk walk on the trail.  Then I headed to church.  Catholic Mass.  Lately, this is feeding my soul.

After Mass, I set out on  my teaching route.  I am so thrilled that it is flowing so well. Sometimes I feel like Mr. Magoo. Remember him? Little near-sighted cartoon guy? He would just set out walking, humming, not seeing a darn thing.  Cars and trains would nearly miss him and he would just keep walking along.

I am near-sighted too, but I see well enough not to walk into any moving vehicles. But with my route all laid out with plenty of time between students, I have time to breathe and enjoy life. No rushing!

And I do some of my best thinking on days such as these.

I packed a little lunch: Rice cakes with cream cheese and olives, greek yogurt and a homemade walnut-apricot power bar. I stopped for tea on my route.  Unfortunately it was on Division Street at a new little cafe which feature much decadent looking pastries and sandwiches!  I perservered though. Just bought the tea.

It is sometimes difficult avoiding gluten. I am thinking that when I reach my ideal weight, I might start allowing a bit back into my life.

But I had an epiphany. I do love rice cakes. I think I will just start packing them with me. They might come in handy.

Like last evening, for example. I was very tired after a full day of teaching. Then I had chamber group rehearsal. I hadn't packed enough food. Was weak with hunger. Just wanted to go sit and eat and read after rehearsal. Not a good neighborhood for that. I sometimes go to the little Mexican food cart. But it was raining. Not good for outdoor eating.  So I went to Burger King. And I had a cheeseburger salad!  I ordered a cheeseburger and a salad and tossed the bun.

But I'm wondering if a rice cake cheeseburger would have done the trick?  Not that I should be eating fast food much. But on occasion, the emergency rice cake might come in handy!

Off to teach my last student.

After that, a trip to the grocery store for salmon (dinner) and rice cakes (for emergencies!)
:)

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist