Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 298: Death and Unconditional Love

I felt like I had a hangover today.

No, I didn't tip the bottle last night. I really don't drink anymore. Only the occasional glass of wine with a friend. 

I think I had a socializing hangover.  Today, I felt the need to find a nice place to sit with a book and a cup of tea. All day.

But, I still had things. Many things to clear out of the old place.

And I really wanted to make it to church.

Of course, as usual I am glad I did.  The little church I go to feeds my soul.  The pastor translates the bible, sometimes word for word. He has studied ancient languages, particularly Greek and Hebrew. I take notes furiously. I feel like I am back in college. I so love being a student!

He and his wife are amazing. Both in the 70's. Lift weights several times a week. Have energy that put me to shame! But he had been hospitalized due to heart complications for the past few weeks.

He was back preaching again today. He seemed a little tired, but fascinating as usual. With his recent hospitalization, I am realizing how deeply he has impacted my spiritual life. And how much he would be missed when he eventually departs this world.

I was thinking about death today.  Perhaps because of the pastor's illness. Or perhaps it was because of my social hung over.  Or maybe it was because I just started Week 10 of the daily devotional I have been reading:  Challenge: A Daily Meditation Program Based on "The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius"

I am proud of myself for sticking with this daily reading. Along with my daily bible reading, morning prayer and prayer journaling.  I find that it feeds my soul.  I need it even more than a morning jolt of caffeine!

The heading for week 10 is: "How Does the Thought of Death Impact the Way I Live?"

There was a lot of good food for thought in today's reading including a quote by Robert Herhold:

"It's too bad that dying is the last thing we do because it could teach us so much about life".

I read that at lunch after church. I have to admit, I was a bit down today.  During the break at church one of the elders came and asked about my son. I had asked the members to put him on the prayer chain back in the summer.  I always worry about my son.  I told the elder that I still worry about him.  Then I thought about our last lunch. He told me that I still treat him like a child. And he at 24 years old is a grown man, he says.

I sat there thinking about my son during the last part of church. I didn't hear much of the sermon. I even shed a few tears.  I ended up writing the elder a note. I thanked him for asking about my son. But I asked him to take his name off of the prayer sheet.  They have a sheet every week with names of people with prayer requests. My son's name is there with "personal issues" beside his name.

I realized that was not respecting his wishes to be treated like an adult. He did not ask for prayers.

I will still pray for him. I asked the church to pray for me. But I do need to love and accept him where he is at. I tend to judge him and his friends. I am certain he can feel my disapproval. And that is not really who I am. At least not to most of the world. Only to my son.

And I do understand what it feels like when we sense someone does not approve of us. Especially if that is a person who we love.

And speaking of death, we do not know how long we have on this earth. Nor do we know how long our loved ones will be here.

I want my son to know I love him. With no strings attached.

After church I called him. He was at work. I told him I just called to say hi and I loved him.  He said "Love you too" and hung up.

But later this afternoon he called out of the blue. He was going to pay rent with his girlfriend. He sounded happy. He asked me what I was up to. We just visited. I didn't nag or interrogate.  He didn't ask for anything. But we talked about having dinner later in the week. I told him I would like to meet his girlfriend.

We said "love you" and hung up.

That is the best interaction I've had with my son in a long time. 

There is so much more I'd like to say. But this was a profound moment for me, so I will leave it there.

I like leaving with profundity.

Happy Sunday! :)

Talk to you tomorrow!

Zita :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i