Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 314: "Mind the Gap"

Today was overall a very pleasant day.

I popped up at the last possible moment and was able to get in my 20 minute elyptical workout while watching "Person of Interest". This routine is really working for me. Yes, I am bribing myself.  I don't allow myself to watch any television at night for the time being, while I am in "training". So when I open an eye, hit the snooze and contemplate sleeping in, I start craving my time with my new show I am binge watching.  Then, once I am vertical, I am awake!

Today I had a bit of a breakthrough. I was so engrossed in the plot, that without realizing it, I was actually "running" on the elyptical! Broke a sweat did I!

After my shift at the church, I stopped in at Starbucks and had a green tea latte with my housemate before heading off to lunch.  I decided to try a new place: "Sunny's Diner" in my new hood. I've heard good things about it.

I was greeted by a friendly server.  When she came to take my order, I smiled at her. She gasped. "I love your gap!"

I laughed.  I told her she was the second person in a week to mention it. I told her I used to be self conscious because I thought people might think I was missing a front tooth!

"No!", she exclaimed. "It is really cute"!

Well, I'll take cute!  The last person to comment was at Burgerville.  She said I reminded her of Lauren Hutton.

The weird thing is, before these two, I cannot remember anyone even mentioning my gap!



My lunch was yummy. I had a mushroom swiss burger sans bun, fries and tea.  While I was eating, the man sitting at the table opposite me received his pancakes. He kept exclaiming about the size of them. (They were enormous!) And he kept asking the server for more butter. When I chuckled he looked up at me and smiled.  Then he proceeded to talk to me. The entire time I was there! At first I nodded and smiled politely.  Then I started feeling tense.  I just wanted some quiet time with my food and "Words with Friends".

Then I felt guilty. He was obviously lonely. He was an older gentleman.  So we chatted. He asked me if I heard about the attack in London. I had.  He proceeded to tell me why the world was a mess, and what should be done.  I nodded and inserted a few words here and there. He was getting quite animated. I didn't want to talk politics.  So I did the only logical thing possible at a moment like this: I faked a phone call.

"Excuse me", I interrupted his talk about Nazi Germany. "I have to take this".

Then, embarrassingly enough I faked a conversation.  Then I fake hung up my phone and got back to my burger.  And he started up again.

Sigh.  I listened a bit and then said, "Yes, this world is an absolute mess. I have enjoyed talking, but I have a bit of work to do". I smiled and got out a pencil and paper and started doing fake work.

He finally got the hint.  "So sorry",  he said. I smiled and said, "No worries. I enjoyed our chat!"   He seemed happy. He asked for a box for his pancakes. And more butter.  And waved goodbye.

Later on, I read more about the attack in London.  And something was tickling the back of my mind as I listened to a newscaster with a lovely British accent. It was about the "gap" in my teeth.

There is a British saying: "Mind the gap".

I looked it up.  It turns out, it is a public service announcement used in the London underground transit, called "the Tube".  When passengers are about to step from the platform onto the train, there is a bit of a space. They are told to "Mind the Gap" as a safety precaution.

Here is a Youtube video of the London Underground with Oswald Laurence's voice saying "Mind the gap!" He was apparently a British actor, now deceased. But in some places, they have brought back his recording.


I am keeping my blog short.  Still suffering from allergies. And saddened by the latest terrorist attack.

My prayers are with the people of London.

Blessings to you. Happy Wednesday.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Zita

P.S. My fruit of the spirit today (from Galatians 5:22-23) was "gentleness".  I was pondering this as I tried to be kind to the man at the diner today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist