Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 301: Faking It

I had a difficult night.  Tossed and turned. Worried.

Woke up exhausted. Tired. Depressed.  Felt like my heart was heavy.

The weather outside reflected the condition of my soul.
I dressed very comfortably and made my morning tea.  Walked the 2 minutes to work.  Immersed myself in my office work, all the while trying to rise above the gloom I felt.

I took a break halfway through my day. Sipped my tea. Ate a Lara bar.  They were on sale at New Seasons. Gluten Free Pecan Pie.  Quite tasty! I felt my spirits rise a bit.

After work, I came home to practice piano a bit before I headed out to teach.  I opened up my devotional, and inserted the CD of Bach's B Minor mass that someone left on my piano at choir practice last night.

The mournful sound of the Kyrie actually started to lift me.  It reminded me of a discussion I had with one of my adult students the other day. She has been feeling down. She feels the need for a change in her life.  Lately she has been learning to play the 12-bar blues in our lesson.  At her last lesson, we mostly talked. She was quite sad.  Then I asked her to put her feelings into music. I provided the chords below and she "sang" the blues with her right hand on the piano. It was quite liberating. We both got goosebumps.

I shared with her that it is OK to be down sometimes, but it helps to know what to do with these feelings. And we make beauty out of our pain by channeling these feelings into art or music.

I hesitate to dump or vent on family or friends anymore. I have done way too much dumping in the past. I do not want to become a burden. My student and I joked that we should create a secret group on Facebook. The "Dump and Go" group. Where we can just dump negative thoughts, feelings, and experiences.

She told me she sometimes gets together with her friends for a "Wine and Whine" session. I like the sound of that!

So as I listen to the Mass, I open my devotional. This whole week, if you recall from my last post is concerning death.  Perfect for my mood.  

I am on Week 10 of Challenge: A Daily Meditation Program Based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. The heading for week 10 is: "How does the thought of death impact the way I live?

It sounds morose, but thinking about death actually perks me up.  Today's question was "How would I react if I learned I had a date with death tonight?"

I kept that thought with me the rest of the day. As I waited for the bus in the cold rain, cars spashing me as they whizzed by. As I stopped for green curry at a favorite Thai restaurant. 


As I read Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out and Lonely by Lysa TerKeust as I sipped my tea after lunch.



As I waited for the next bus to my first student's house. And as I sloshed from the bus stop to their home, avoiding puddles because my rain boots had sprung a leak. 

Each time I started to think negative thoughts, about how cold, wet, tired or sore I was. How my nose was running and my cold sore was throbbing. How my shoulders hurt.  How I wished I could lose more weight...yada yada yada, 
I told myself, "What if this was my last day on earth. Would I want those to be my last thoughts?"

It helped. A lot.

And something amazing happened at my first student's house. A mother and daughter, both beginners take lessons from me. They are friends with another one of my families in the general neighborhood. The dad is an artist and a musician. He plays stand up bass, sings and plays accordian. But he has not been performing lately. 

Last week the dad texted me and said he would like to take lessons from me. To get him motivated to start getting music gigs again. I agreed. I thought he wanted to brush up on note reading on the piano.

But after I taught mom and daughter, he comes in and said in his loud, jovial voice, "I am ready for my lesson!"

I asked him what he would like to focus on. 

He said that what he would really like is for me to accompany him on the piano while he sang.

This surprised me. I am not much of a singer. But I could accompany! That might be fun. And I had played for numerous choirs, even led a few. 

But then he handed me The Real Book. I gulped. 

Jazz. He wanted to sing jazz. And the book he handed me was a fake book. Actually THE fake book full of jazz standards.

I could read music. Very well. I'm an excellent sight reader. But that is when the music is totally written out. A fake book has the melody line written out. That would be the part he was singing.  I was supposed to  make sense of all the chord symbols!  

I have never tried to play from The Real Book in my life. 

But luckily I was holding that thought about my imminent death in mind. So I took the plunge. And I faked the heck out of it!

He has a really amazing voice. He is a big guy.  Big in spirit and physically. With a big, booming baritone voice full of spirit and resonance.

He didn't seem to notice my chicken scratching at the piano. He was just so happy to be singing away!  

We worked on "'Round Midnight" for the whole lesson. He hadn't sung in awhile, so I helped him with his part.  

After the lesson, his wife came out to talk about the financial bit. At that point, I confessed that I did not have any jazz experience. I told them that I didn't feel right accepting money from them for his lesson. I was learning along with him!

But, they are really cool people. They said, "Nonsense". They said I must accept my usual rate. 

He even lent me his Real Book to take home.

And believe me, I will practice before our next lesson.

And you know what? I am not depressed anymore! The fog has lifted. I am excited to finally get my toes wet in the jazz pool.

So death, you will have to wait. I have a lot of music to do!

Happy Wednesday!

Today, I focused on peace.  (From Galatians 5:22-23)

Talk to you tomorrow! :) 

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i