Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 316: Laughing in the Rain!

So after my sluggish start to yesterday, it ended with a flourish!

I was leaving my last student's house. It had begun to rain.  I had not brought my umbrella along. When I left the house earlier, it was warm and dry.  I did hesitate, thinking I might need it - I mean that 3/4 mile walk home at night would be mighty sloshy without an umbrella.

But I was tired and cranky. And I wanted to travel light. So I took off sans umbrella.

And there I was. The end of my day, facing a sloshy commute home.  I had felt so proud of myself. Instead of stopping and buying a packaged snack, I did buy my apple. It was a Fuji. Most crunchy and delicious it was!

My last family of the evening, is like a real family to me. The grandma always makes me tea. Sometimes they invite me for dinner. She also told me her door is always open, if I am in the neighborhood and want to just stop by and play her old upright piano. And I occasionally do!

So when she saw my face as I was prepared to leave, she offered to lend me an umbrella. I was greatly relieved and told her I would bring it back when I was in the neighborhood again.

Alas, she could not find a spare umbrella!  So I wrapped my books and kindle in plastic, put my cell phone in my purse, underneath my big winter coat, secured my hood and marched out. It was a steady drizzle, but not too cold.  I told her I would be fine. That I would "run in between the raindrops".  But inside I was feeling cranky.

But something amazing happened. I believe a small God thing. However, with God, nothing is small is it?

I got to the corner just in time to catch a bus. I was only going to the next stop, but every bit helps!  As I got off at my stop, a young mother followed me with her three children. They were adorable - about 8, 4 and 2.  The oldest were girls, the youngest a little boy in a stroller. They looked perfectly content to walk with their mom, holding hands in the rain. They were speaking Spanish and laughing.

They walked across the street to the same stop as I.  There was no covering for this bus stop. And much standing water.  They also did not have an umbrella. We backed up against the building by the stop, seeking shelter. I got out my cell phone to call the transit tracker to see how long of a wait we had. Just then, a car came speeding past us, and we were drenched with a wave of cold water!

I grimaced, but to my amazement, the family broked out in giggles. I looked down at them. They smiled at me. Another car came by just then, and they laughed hysterically. The mom and I looked at each other and started to laugh too. Soon, we were having a grand old time, laughing each time a car came close to the sidewalk, drenching us.

My heart soared. And my gloom lifted.  The bus came soon and we sloshed on board.  Smiling.

This is what they mean by looking at the glass half full or half empty.  I used to be more of an optimist.  If I am not careful, I will become cranky as I get older.  I intend to fight it all the way.

When I got off at my stop, I ducked under the shelter of a building and got out my little radio and headphones. Tied on my hood, got out my flashlight and walked merrily home in the rain.  Listening to my favorite radio personality to walk home to: Clyde Lewis.  I walked briskly, feeling more energized then ever.

And guess what? This morning I woke up easily.  Feeling less poofy.  One of my piano student's grandmas told me her allergies have been bothering her lately too. She recommended Zyrtec. She takes the generic form ("Cetirizine").  She gave me a few to try.

So I took one this morning with my tea.  And it helped!

Today, I felt almost healthy!

These are the changes I have made in the last week:

  1. No television at night. Only reading one hour before bed.
  2. Keep the radio on (I have it tuned to K-Love, a Christian station).
  3. Drink herbal tea before bed.
  4. Put a warm, wet cloth on my eyes before bed, and when I wake up during the night (to discourage rubbing my itchy eyes!)
  5. Exercise in the morning (this is my television time. I am currently watching "Person of Interest")
  6. Eat apples for snacks.

Today I deviated a bit.  Since I had a real day off (Spring break at the music center where I usually teach classes on Friday), I went to the gym instead of my morning elliptical/tv time.  But I had an apple on an empty stomach.  A nice, crisp, juicy apple.  I am wondering if part of my "allergy" symptoms are stress related?  Many of my symptoms seem to get worse when I start worrying. And my cough seems acidic.  The apple seems to sooth my tummy.

Perhaps the old saying was correct! ("An apple a day keeps the doctor away")

I also put lentils in the crockpot before I headed out this morning. So I came home to a lovely bowl of dal.  I shared with my housemates, and Squire the Dog. They all gave their approval.

I am thinking my diet has become too high in fat, salt and too acidic.

Although, I did treat myself to my Egg McRice cake today before I went over to my daughter's house and helped her and my son-in-law do their final packing before they move tomorrow.

All this change in a short period of time.  Change can be a good thing, but it is stressful nonetheless.  So after I type this blog, I am going play a bit of piano and then hop on the treadmill and watch a bit of Person of Interest.

Then it will be to bed with my book. Earlier than usual. Saturday is my busy day.

Happy Friday!

P.S. My fruit of the spirit for the day was "love".  (From Galatians 5:22-23).  Learning to take better care of myself is the most loving thing I can do. Because if I feel loved, then I am in better shape to pass it on!

Talk to you tomorrow...



Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.

I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.

Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …