Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 292: I Will Survive

Decompression session at Laughing Planet at the end of my day

I had such a good, deep sleep last night. I woke up feeling rested and revived. Perhaps it was my decompression session last night at Laughing Planet.  A glass of hard apple cider, chips, salsa and guacamole, were just the friends I needed. 

I am feeling remarkably calm, centered and balanced.

The days are getting longer and warmer.  I woke up easily this morning.  Got my noodle soup going. Packed my mobile salad. Did my hooping session, cleaned up and headed out to catch the bus. I had a dentist appointment.

Perhaps this feeling is the calm after the storm.

I do not enjoy having my teeth cleaned. Those whirling, high pitched instruments they use send me through the ceiling. Like the sound of fingernails on a chalk board.


I thought about stopping at Starbucks first. But decided against it.  I would have Starbucks be my reward.  No sense going into the dentist agitated on caffeine.

I got there early.  I was suddenly very sleepy.

"Good", thought I. "I will just nap during my cleaning".


My dentist and assistant were very kind. They kept asking me if I was ok as I flinched and grimaced during the torturous, whirring, squealing, scraping and then tube stuck in my mouth. 

I tried to let my mind wander away from what was happening in my mouth.

To my great amusement, the song, "I Will Survive" was playing on the radio!

I sung along in my head. I almost asked them to turn it up. 

My dentist stopped her whirring instruments just then and asked, "Are you ok?" with much concern in her voice.

"I am fine", I smiled. "I am focusing on the words of that song. 'I will survive!'

We all chuckled.

Soon it was over.

I headed happily over to Starbucks and had a nice hot cup of tea.  I had my bible, prayer journal and a book with me. 

I think it is relief that is making me so happy.

I am relieved that my appointment is over.  I am relieved that I made it on time. I am relieved that I do not have to hurry to go anywhere today. I have students later this afternoon, but after tea, prayer and study, I planned on heading to the library.

One of my favorite places in the world.

I wonder if there are libraries in heaven?

That is my idea of heaven.  An eternity to float on the clouds and read all the books in the world!

As I walked into the closest library, I again had a very calm peaceful feeling. Usually this particular branch of the Multnomah County Library is packed.  A person on each computer terminal.  Kids milling about in the kids section. A class going on in the large room. 

But it is quiet today. And they have rearranged the tables and computers. A much better use of space.

I can breathe.

I have nothing more to say. I think I am just going to end here and go forth and enjoy my day.

I wish you a lovely day!

Talk to you tomorrow.




Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…