Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 312: Old School Samurai

The gray sky has returned.  And a bit of rain.

Usually I thrive on overcast, drizzly Portland days. My head feels clear. I have more energy.

Not today.  It was a struggle to get out of bed. Then it was a struggle to get motivated.

But I refuse to succumb to the negative mood my brain is dictating to me.

Every negative thought that popped up, I swatted it. Like a bug!

I made some tea, cleaned up, hooped and then I spent several hours practicing the piano and the portative organ.  It was painful at first.  I think my illness and anxiety have created bad habits. I seem to want comfort before work.

But, the Samurai in me says work before play!

So I pushed forth.  I got some good work done.

Only then did I allow myself to go to Starbucks.

Good thing, because my family member in crisis called. He had lost his ID card on the bus several weeks ago. He has a lead on a job and wondered if I could pay for his ID until he got his first paycheck to pay me back.

I agreed.  But I told him I had students this afternoon. We agreed to meet at DMV at 3:00 p.m.  I told him he could not be late, or I would have to leave to teach.  He agreed.

There was a Starbucks near DMV, so I sat and sipped my Citrus Defender and relaxed with a game of Words with Friends.  I felt better about myself than I did this morning. I had accomplished a lot at home.

I told myself to go back to my "old school Samurai" way of living.  Work first. Then relax.  The funny thing is, that once I got going, I was so immersed in my piano and organ pra
ctice, that it became my enjoyment.

I am still tired. But at least I am not feeling the pressing guilt of inactivity.

Tomorrow I am going to Vancouver to visit my daughter and the Schnood. She has an appointment for a check up. And shots.

Oy.

I hope I can be strong!

My son-in-law has to work, so I will be there for support.

But who is going to support me?  I do not want to see the Schnood in pain!

I do need to toughen up.  I survived single motherhood.  Shots, skinned knees, hurt feelings, broken bones, illnesses.

I can be grandmotherly and strong too!

On that note, the library is closing soon and I have students to teach.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita


P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 268!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...