Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 308, 309 and 310: I'm Back...

...from the brink of death.

Most dramatic am I.  But I feel like I went to hell and back this weekend.

One mistake was to take over the counter medication (Tylenol, Thera-Flu and Ibuprofen) and drink massive caffeine in order to make it through teaching classes on Friday.

I felt really good until early evening. Then it felt like my head was going to explode. My cough returned with a vengeance, dragging along massive sneezing and nose dripping.

Then like a big dummy I downed another mug of Thera-Flu before bed. I didn't even consider cancelling Saturday breakfast with my mom. And definitely could not afford to cancel anymore piano lessons.

Oy, I felt miserable Saturday morning. But I managed to get up and stagger down the road to the bus stop just in time. I was halfway to our regular restaurant before I remembered it was St. Patrick's Day. I looked down at my outfit. Not a speck of my favorite color green. So, before I joined my mom, I stopped at Rite Aid in search of a little green something I could attach to my outfit. And I decided I needed allergy nose spray. I was convinced my symptoms were seasonal.

Green thing and nose spray in tow, I joined my mother. She looked most concerned as I slid into the booth.

"You're sick again!" She declared.

"I think it's just allergies", I managed to croak out between a sneeze and a cough.

"Get a flu shot next year", she said knowingly as she sipped her black coffee.

My day went downhill from there. Think nosedive. Pun intended.

I ended up canceling my last two students. I called them as I huddled, shaking with the chills, trying to sip a cup of hot tea.

The pastor of the Chinese congregation at the church where I teach walked by. He smiled and waved. But I must have looked like a ghostly shadow of myself. He stopped and looked at my with concern. I told him I was a little under the weather and would be leaving early.

He asked my symptoms. He listened thoughtfully. Then he told me he had a Chinese remedy for me to try.

"It might sound a little weird", he chuckled.

"Please tell me", I croaked, sniffled, coughed, sneezed and snorted.

"O.K. Boil Coca-Cola with fresh ginger. Add lemon and sprinkle it with cinnamon. It sounds strange. But it works".

I told him I would try it. Then my last students arrived. I tried to put on a happy face. But I just wanted to lay down on the floor and sleep forever.

As I packed up to leave, the pastor asked if he and his wife could drive me home.

"We're worried about you", he said.

I told him thank you, but I was ok. Plus, I needed to stop at the store.

That one block walk to the corner store felt like miles. Across the desert. I should have accepted their ride. I bought ingredients for the Chinese remedy and yogurt. I had thrown away my soup that I packed for lunch.

I had no appetite.

Big clue. If I have no appetite, I am one sick woman!

I barely made it through the little store. My teeth were chattering. Everything hurt. The bus ride and 3/4 mile walk home were out of the question.

I called Lyft.

I staggered inside, and collapsed on the bed. And proceeded to sleep from about 5 p.m. until 3 a.m.

I woke up burning hot. I was disoriented from many nightmares.

Most of which concerned "Words with Friends". I kept getting all "C's".

It was horrifying.

I got out of bed and drank some water. My heart was racing. I still hurt all over
 I looked at my face in the mirror. My cheeks were bright red!

I took my temperature. It was 101.9!

But no more Tylenol for me. I was worried I had overdosed on OTC meds.

I drank more water and got back in bed. And proceeded to sleep until noon.

I woke up again, drenched in sweat. My fever had broken at last.

I remembered the Chinese remedy. I boiled the Coke with a piece of ginger. Then I added a splash of lemon juice. Finally, I sprinkled some cinammon on top.

I crawled back in bed and sipped my drink. It tasted good to my parched throat. I was still not hungry. And still very sleepy.

So back to bed went I.

I woke up again about 5 p.m. feeling much better. Still tired. Still achy. But cold and cough gone. So I through on some sweats and sneakers and staggered to the corner store. I picked up some orange juice, and more yogurt.

Then I rented a DVD. "Lady Bird".

And back home I shuffled.

The trip home seemed to take forever. I was started to feel pekid again. But I just kept putting one foot in front of the other.

Soon I was back in bed. I sipped my juice and nibbled a rice cake topped with tuna.

I put the DVD in.

I loved the movie.

I lay awake, thinking afterwards. Not about the movie. About my life. Particularly about my eating. I felt a sense of freedom.

Without an appetite, I was not so interested in food. My lifelong love affair came screeching to a halt.

I made a vow to put this in writing so I would not forget.

I essentially fasted from eating for 25 hours.

Not my preferred method of weight loss, but I woke up 4 lbs lighter this morning and almost 100% healed!

I am getting tired now. I will have to continue tomorrow.

It is good to be back. I have missed you!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita




P.S. I managed to hoop this morning! Day 266!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i