Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 317: In Search of a Good Merlot

Zma and the Schnood - Bowling Night!

Finally starting to feel somewhat human again!

I am quite certain it was the gluten.  The brain fog and low grade depression is starting to lift.  I feel a bit more energetic.


I am so glad this is spring break.  It is hard enough trying to keep myself motivated, but creating the happy, supportive teacher takes a lot of energy when one can hardly get out of bed!


My best move, besides re-removing gluten from my life was to check out a good book from the library. It was the escape I needed.


A real book, with paper pages you turn and everything!  I think when I am feeling low that electronic devices are not healthy for me.


I have been inhaling this book. And I was pleased to discover the movie they made based on the book was available at the library!


So here I am, at one of my favorite places in the world - the library! :)


The name of the book is Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. It is a memoir based on her childhood.  I am so connected to her character, and fascinated by tales from her wildly dysfunctional family.  I cannot wait to see the movie!


I spent a lovely evening with my daughter and the Schnood. We went bowling yesterday with their church group.  Many families have babies of various ages, older and younger than the Schnood. After her last doctor's visit, my daughter and I have been quite worried about her head size and development. But she looked like a happy, healthy baby along side all the other little ones!  We've been doing some reading (and head measuring). It seems that doctor's are quite concerned with head circumference these days.


I tend to get a little peeved when they are so fixated on charts. But it is their job to do so and hopefully catch problems early.


The Schnood's head is 17.5 inches. She is almost 7 months old. Apparently she is in the 96th percentile.  A larger than average head can signify "Hydrocephalus". 


https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hydrocephalus/symptoms-causes/syc-20373604


But after some research, we have discovered this is quite rare. And the symptoms associated with hydrocephalus like sleepiness, vomiting, poor feeding, etc are not present.  We will still take her in to be monitored and keep an eye on her, but we decided to relax and not worry so much and enjoy this precious baby.


Me, not worry? Easier said than done. But essential for my well being.


Today we had a wonderful girl's day. My daughter's birthday is coming up. So of course we went out to lunch.  We went to McGrath's Fish House.  We love the atmosphere.  And the food is wonderful too. I behaved myself and did not have a single crumb of bread.


After lunch, we headed to the mall. I bought my daughter a 15 minute massage. The Schnood and I waited in the family area.  She loves watching people. And pulling her grandma's hair!


After the mall we headed to the grocery store to buy food for dinner.  We stopped at Nekter Juice Bar.  We shared a "Sublime" juice (Lime, orange, parsley, kale, spinach, and cucumber).  It was divine!  I think I need to start juicing for my health.  


I also have decided to allow myself a glass of red wine a few nights a week.  I have been reading about the benefits of red wine, which contains "resveratol".  


Below is a graphic from Dr. Axe's website. I doubt that I will have more than a few glasses a week.  Alcohol just does not taste good to me anymore.  But I am needing to find some balance in my life.  


Red wine might be the ticket!





https://draxe.com/benefits-of-red-wine/

I know I need to continue to stay away from gluten, sugar and white carbs.

I will keep you posted of my progress!

But now, I need to head to the store in search of a nice Merlot.

Happy Monday!


Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,


Zita





P.S. Here is today's hooping video.  Day 271!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...