Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 317: In Search of a Good Merlot

Zma and the Schnood - Bowling Night!

Finally starting to feel somewhat human again!

I am quite certain it was the gluten.  The brain fog and low grade depression is starting to lift.  I feel a bit more energetic.


I am so glad this is spring break.  It is hard enough trying to keep myself motivated, but creating the happy, supportive teacher takes a lot of energy when one can hardly get out of bed!


My best move, besides re-removing gluten from my life was to check out a good book from the library. It was the escape I needed.


A real book, with paper pages you turn and everything!  I think when I am feeling low that electronic devices are not healthy for me.


I have been inhaling this book. And I was pleased to discover the movie they made based on the book was available at the library!


So here I am, at one of my favorite places in the world - the library! :)


The name of the book is Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. It is a memoir based on her childhood.  I am so connected to her character, and fascinated by tales from her wildly dysfunctional family.  I cannot wait to see the movie!


I spent a lovely evening with my daughter and the Schnood. We went bowling yesterday with their church group.  Many families have babies of various ages, older and younger than the Schnood. After her last doctor's visit, my daughter and I have been quite worried about her head size and development. But she looked like a happy, healthy baby along side all the other little ones!  We've been doing some reading (and head measuring). It seems that doctor's are quite concerned with head circumference these days.


I tend to get a little peeved when they are so fixated on charts. But it is their job to do so and hopefully catch problems early.


The Schnood's head is 17.5 inches. She is almost 7 months old. Apparently she is in the 96th percentile.  A larger than average head can signify "Hydrocephalus". 


https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hydrocephalus/symptoms-causes/syc-20373604


But after some research, we have discovered this is quite rare. And the symptoms associated with hydrocephalus like sleepiness, vomiting, poor feeding, etc are not present.  We will still take her in to be monitored and keep an eye on her, but we decided to relax and not worry so much and enjoy this precious baby.


Me, not worry? Easier said than done. But essential for my well being.


Today we had a wonderful girl's day. My daughter's birthday is coming up. So of course we went out to lunch.  We went to McGrath's Fish House.  We love the atmosphere.  And the food is wonderful too. I behaved myself and did not have a single crumb of bread.


After lunch, we headed to the mall. I bought my daughter a 15 minute massage. The Schnood and I waited in the family area.  She loves watching people. And pulling her grandma's hair!


After the mall we headed to the grocery store to buy food for dinner.  We stopped at Nekter Juice Bar.  We shared a "Sublime" juice (Lime, orange, parsley, kale, spinach, and cucumber).  It was divine!  I think I need to start juicing for my health.  


I also have decided to allow myself a glass of red wine a few nights a week.  I have been reading about the benefits of red wine, which contains "resveratol".  


Below is a graphic from Dr. Axe's website. I doubt that I will have more than a few glasses a week.  Alcohol just does not taste good to me anymore.  But I am needing to find some balance in my life.  


Red wine might be the ticket!





https://draxe.com/benefits-of-red-wine/

I know I need to continue to stay away from gluten, sugar and white carbs.

I will keep you posted of my progress!

But now, I need to head to the store in search of a nice Merlot.

Happy Monday!


Talk to you tomorrow!


Love,


Zita





P.S. Here is today's hooping video.  Day 271!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist